Sheila {ShesGoingBookCrazy.com}'s Reviews > Wintersong

Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones

See this full review on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com
I was not a child of beauty; I was a child of the queer, the strange, and the wild.

Wintersong is not a story that everyone will appreciate. I say that because of the style in which it is written. Its prose are beautifully artistic, but may not resonate with every reader because of the depth of conversation to which it addresses. Instead of a story being handed to the reader on a silver platter--no questions to ask, no thoughts or feelings to decipher, no reflection to behold--it is a story which challenges innermost thoughts with notes, images, feelings--not words. And I loved it.

If there is one word to describe this book, it would be raw. Raw experiences. Raw emotions. Rawness on all accounts.
It hurt. Hearing my music like this, played in the hands of someone who understood me so completely---in a way, not even my brother had known---hurt. My music was elegant, transcendent, ethereal, and I could not bear to behold its beauty. I longed to pull it back beneath my skin, to hide it away in the shadows where it properly belonged, safe where no one could judge it for its flaws.

It has been a while since I have read a character with such developed inner-monologue and outer-dialogue. We travel through the labyrinth of thoughts, wishes, hopes, and dreams Liesl embodies. We see her make difficult decisions, for selfish and selfless purposes. We see her transform from the unremarkable and "plain" girl Leisl, into the woman Elisabeth. We see her understand what it means to sacrifice for another.
I do solemnly swear that I accept your sacrifice, the gift of your life, selflessly and selfishly given.

Leisl, (and Elisabeth's) relationship with the Goblin King is tumultuous, bewitching, and real; besides the fact that he's a Goblin King...It glimpses upon the passage from maiden to matronhood and the trials of what marital union call of a person. I love the dark alluring character and mystery of Der Erlkönig and the Goblin King, as they are two halves to a whole.
The Goblin King had his tricks, but I had my stubbornness. We would see who prevailed in the end.

Wintersong had a Phantom Of The Opera feel to it: an enticing and elusive man wants a girl for her music, not to mention her soul. Because of the dark undertones and mature nature of the story, I personally wouldn't recommend this book for young adults, along with the fact that there are some descriptive sexual scenes. I tend to be more conservative, but I'd say this book is for eighteen and up.

My one and only issue with this book was that it was a bit drawn out in the middle. The book is almost divided into two separate stories, and once the second story took center stage, the pace began to lag. I understand why it was drawn out, because it takes a person time to sort out their feelings, to grow and to understand themselves and others at a deeper level. I think this aspect may turn some people away from the book. However, I found it to be all more realistic and relatable. I appreciated that Jae-Jones didn't force her characters to miraculously change overnight, and allowed them to change naturally and upon their own accord.

Hands down, 5 stars. This may be a new favorite. I appreciated how much the reader could take away from this story, and it wasn't strictly written for entertainment purposes. There is a heart behind its words, pulsing and humming with life and thought. I am highly anticipating it's companion read, to be published in 2018.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintersong.

Quotes Sheila Liked

S. Jae-Jones
“Life,” he said softly, “is more than flesh. Your body is a candle, your soul the flame. The longer I burn the candle...” He did not finish.
“A candle unused is nothing but wax and wick,” I said.“I would rather light the flame, knowing it will go out than sit forever in darkness.”

S. Jae-Jones
“Loveliness of the spirit is worth more than loveliness of the flesh.”

S. Jae-Jones
“What is eternal life but a prolonged death?”

S. Jae-Jones
“So I tried my best to stifle hope. Because hope's twin was despair, and despair was infinitely worse. If hope hurt, then despair was the absence of hurt. It was the absence of feeling. It was the absence of caring. I wanted very much to care.”

S. Jae-Jones
“It takes love, you see, to bring the world back to life.”
tags: love

S. Jae-Jones
“To grow old was to have lived a full life.”
tags: ageing

January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2017-releases
January 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2017-top-picks
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: series-completed
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Dasha ~Made of bad materials, yet well put together~ This is an amazing review, Sheila! Now I really feel like reading it sometime soon.

Sheila {ShesGoingBookCrazy.com} Dasha ~Made of bad materials, yet well put together~ wrote: "This is an amazing review, Sheila! Now I really feel like reading it sometime soon."

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as well when you do!