Steve Chaput's Reviews > In a Dark, Dark Wood

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

Apr 15, 2017

liked it

While well written and entertaining, I can't say that loved the book, since it had a too familiar feeling about it and the murderer could be guessed at before the last few chapters.

A small group of people , consisting of friends of the bride-to-be, are invited to a 'hen' or what we could call in the states a bridal shower of sorts. It is to take place in the isolated home of a relative in the titular dark, dark wood. Once they arrive it is discovered that there is little if any cell phone reception and the only landline seems to have gone out at some point the first night. Tempers begin to flare and old grudges come out as time passes, eventually leading to an event that is hinted at from the beginning.

I think my biggest problem with the book is that I was reminded, not in a good way, of both Gone Girl and The Girl On The Train. By which I mean that the book is peopled with folks who are generally unlikable and whose ultimate fate, for the most part, doesn't really effect me. In this book, as in Girl On The Train, the main narrator is suffering from a temporary loss of memory which allows the 'mystery' to gone for longer than it otherwise would.

If we can judge from the other two best-sellers, we'll soon see this one headed for the big screen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Dark, Dark Wood.

March 9, 2017 – Shelved