Marina Fontaine's Reviews > Don't Vote - It Just Encourages the Bastards

Aug 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, philosophy-politics
Read from February 24 to March 07, 2012

P.J. O'Rourke is my favorite humor/satire writer, and I absolutely loved his earlier works, so I suppose my expectations were too high going in. My hopes rose high in the beginning of the book (kill/f--k/marry is just as sharp and hilarious as I remember P.J. being). There is also a lot of very interesting and useful information, from history of this county's founding to a great explanation of why US infant mortality rates are higher than in Europe (the answer will break your heart). Towards the last 1/3, though, it gets less funny as well as less accurate. When he blames "conservatives" for subprime mortgages, No Child Left Behind and over-spending, I'm not sure if he wants to establish his credibility as being "impartial" or if he's just really that misinformed. By the time he gets to making fun of Limbaugh's drug addiction, there's nothing to do but hope that section of the audiobook will be over soon. What I felt was almost an embarrassment for someone I really like and respect (and paid $100 to hear live at a Cato Institute speech). I've heard from others he's been getting mellow after having kids at a late age. Maybe that's it. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Vote - It Just Encourages the Bastards.