Steph ☀️'s Reviews > Swift for the Sun

Swift for the Sun by Karen Bovenmyer

bookshelves: gay-book-reviews, z-read-in-2017, mm_contemporary, pirates
Read 2 times. Last read March 27, 2017 to March 28, 2017.

***3.75 stars (rounded-up)***

Warning : There is a brief mention of noncon: "Martio pulled down my britches and violated me." That is basically it.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this book. It started off a bit rough, but as the story and conflict progressed and revealed itself, it got so much better. I was really intrigued by the espionage and double-dealings in the story and how the author revealed each moment. In addition, as characters are introduced, the camaraderie among them grows and becomes humorous at times. There is so much going on in this story; therefore you're warned. Which also means: Pay attention while reading this story. I wish I could give you more info, but I very rarely writes spoilers.

If you haven’t caught on, this is a Historical Romance, which IMO was very well done. So, if you are looking for a hot steamy pirate/slave book then please look elsewhere. While there are intimate moments between Sun and Benjamin, it is not detailed, nor is it the focal part of the story. This is a story about two men: Benjamin and Sun. One a son of a preacher that yearns for adventure and has always been attracted to other men. His father tried to quash it by beating him for his sins every chance he could. The other, taken from his home and made to become a slave. Fighting to stay alive in the most literal sense and a lover of men as well. Due to unfortunate circumstances their paths end up crossing. Thus it’s a bit rough in the beginning, but as time goes on their feelings towards one another grows. Sun and Benjamin eventually start to build a life together, but soon outside forces threaten their time together. Yet, through everything they seem to make it out together, stronger than ever.

In the end, it is really just the beginning of their adventure being free in every way possible. I really hope that the author expands upon this and brings us further adventures with these two wonderful men and the rest of the characters of the Sea Fury. It would be nice to know if Benjamin ever meets Sun’s family; that is they are still alive. To find out exactly what happened to him that fateful day when he taken from his family. In addition, it would be nice to know if they ever get to fulfill their dreams with each other, but also the mission they have. IMO, it was pretty good for her début MM novel.

I am one of many reviewers at Gay Book Reviews and can be found here: http://gaybook.reviews/author/steph/

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swift for the Sun.

March 9, 2017 – Shelved