diana's Reviews > Don't Kiss the Messenger

Don't Kiss the Messenger by Katie  Ray

bookshelves: arc, netgalley

This is, like, the most adorable and the most frustrating book I've come across. Ever. Which wasn't at all what I expected to get from this. Honestly, I just couldn't sleep so I figured why not read a few pages just to tire myself out? But before I know it, it's already three in the morning and I was already turning the last page. Don't Kiss the Messenger surprised me in a really welcome and pleasant way.

Let me start off by saying that our MC, CeCe, puts a whole new twist at badass-ery and sass. I don't think I've ever come across an independent, bold and daring heroine as CeCe. I liked her from the get-go. And when she started spouting off Shakespeare with the effortless way of saying one's name and shown her love and passion for writing poetry and music, I just couldn't help but LOVE her. Honestly, I would love to be her friend. I'm pretty sure she's the kind who would have your back no matter what. I like her dry humor and her love of science. The author created a very complex character in CeCe and I just LOVE it... Have I mentioned I love it?

And Emmett Brady. Man that guy. Is there by any chance that he’s one of Will Herondale’s descendants? Because I’ve never seen any guy in all of the YA contemporary books I’ve read who’s as gentlemanly and old school and soulful and romantic and intense as Emmett is. He never does anything halfheartedly which is one of the things I love about his character. He’s very passionate and… well who wouldn’t love a passionate guy who’d sweep you off your feet? Not to mention someone very good at writing music and is very poetic. Um, YES PLEASE.

Honestly, I would have given this book a five-star rating if it weren't for the whole drama about who's emailing/texting/chatting who. I really could have punched Emmett in the face for being so naive and clueless. How could he not have figured it out? And CeCe was just as annoyingly maddening when she kept on denying what is so glaringly obvious. But damn it if it didn't made me love and root for them more. Seriously, the romance was slow-burn and every exchanged words/quotes/poetry/song lyrics between Emmett and CeCe just turned my heart to goo.

This book is an absolute must-read. The author's writing is lyrical and very engrossing. You wouldn't want to stop reading. Oh and have I mentioned CeCe’s amazing friends? They wouldn’t coddle and smother you but you bet they’ll be right behind you when you need them. Tuba is an absolute favorite of mine. I wouldn’t be surprised if the author decided to give Tuba her own book. There wasn’t much backstory on the supporting characters so I’m really quite intrigued.
Don’t Kiss the Messenger sets itself apart from other YA contemporaries with the emotional depth it packs that would surprise and ensnare you. It is a heartwarming, emotional and lovely story about family, friendships, love, self-acceptance and just being brave enough to be who you really are despite all your flaws- physical or otherwise.

I received an e-arc to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Kiss the Messenger.

March 8, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 9, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
January 11, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Maria Christine not even half way but Bryn is irritating the heck out of me...uhhh...