Mary Johnson's Reviews > A Trial in Venice

A Trial in Venice by Roberta Rich

bookshelves: giveaway-wins

**I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway**

I'd read the first book in Roberta Rich's trilogy a few years back, and I hadn't so much as seen the second one, so I was initially a bit worried that skipping ahead to the third would be confusing. But for anyone who is wondering, this title stands alone well by itself.
The descriptions in this book are incredibly vivid. The smells and sounds and sights of 16th-century Venice are easy to imagine, from the ghetto to the villas; it really is like being transported to another time and place. Historical fiction can be dry, but Rich does an excellent job of making the world feel alive.
Hannah is nothing special as a protagonist, but her compassion and the trials she's forced to endure make it impossible to dislike her. Cesca and Foscari were great, tricksey villains, and I actually enjoyed how Matteo was a bit of a brat. Angel children are overdone and, let's face it, not realistic.
The plot moved quickly, never dropping my attention. Although there were a few moments that felt glossed over or unrealistic, there was nothing so glaring that it detracted from the plot. I will definitely try to fill in the gaps I missed with this trilogy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trial in Venice.

March 8, 2017 – Started Reading