Matthew's Reviews > Jaws

Jaws by Peter Benchley

bookshelves: 2018, kindle, own, horror, suspense, classic

Today is the first full day of my Beach vacation. Here is my view:

Today I finished reading Jaws and this is all I see:

So . . . Maybe not the best timing!

Jaws is an easy and cheesy read. I have seen the movie before and figured it would mainly be suspense. But, there is a whole lot of melodrama and naughty romance, too. Also, it is very dated and you can just feel the 70s oozing out of the dialogue.

In some cases, the things I mentioned in my previous paragraph might be considered bad. But, in this case I think they add to the charm, entertainment, and sometimes silliness of the book. Combined, it is just a fun and easy getaway. Like going to a Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum: your are appalled, you are terrorized, you are scandalized, and all you want is more!

Read it for a fun getaway - if you want deep meaning, you will want to look elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaws.

March 8, 2017 – Shelved
page 47
13.99% "Cover Up"
October 6, 2018 –
page 114
33.93% "Shark - 4 Amity - 0"
October 8, 2018 –
page 205
61.01% ""Be subtle""
October 13, 2018 –
page 245
72.92% "Quint and the Orca"
October 14, 2018 –
page 282
83.93% ""
October 16, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Have a great vacation!

Matthew (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Have a great vacation!"

Thank you! It will definitely be good if we avoid the sharks!😆🦈🦈🦈

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Da dum, da dum, dum dum dum dum dum....Great review Matthew Matthew! Have fun at the beach!

Matthew Tom wrote: "Da dum, da dum, dum dum dum dum dum....Great review Matthew Matthew! Have fun at the beach!"

Thank you! It has been great so far!😀

Julie Ha!
Matthew,

Matthew Julie wrote: "Ha!
Matthew,
You were far more charitable than I, but thanks for including a gif of my man, Roy Scheider!"

😁 Sometimes the cheese entertains enough that I am forgiving in my final review.

Carol Jensen I thought I was the only one who liked to read Jaws at the beach.

Dave don't forget what Benchley did for sharks m put

Matthew Carol wrote: "I thought I was the only one who liked to read Jaws at the beach."

Gotta make it interesting!😆

Matthew Dave wrote: "don't forget what Benchley did for sharks m put"

I think your post got cut off, Dave!

message 11: by Witchy (new)

Witchy 😂Enjoy your vacation!

Pedro Matthew, I wish your holiday to be 1000 times better than my opinion about Jaws. 😁

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura That made me laugh!
Your gonna need a bigger boat!

Enjoy your vacation x

Matthew Witchy wrote: "😂Enjoy your vacation!"

Thank you!

Matthew Pedro Matilde wrote: "Matthew, I wish your holiday to be 1000 times better than my opinion about Jaws. 😁"

I appreciate it! I still need to get over and check out your review.

Matthew Laura wrote: "That made me laugh!
Your gonna need a bigger boat!

Enjoy your vacation x"

😁😁😁Thank you!

message 17: by Riley (new)

Riley Ashby lol what i love about that second picture you have is that those are definitely dolphins. which, i mean, still might kill you, but overall much less scary than sharks :-P

Matthew Kristina Reads - wrote: "lol what i love about that second picture you have is that those are definitely dolphins. which, i mean, still might kill you, but overall much less scary than sharks :-P"

Oh, really!? I just looked up Great White Shark and that was one of the ones that came up. Hmmm - I may need to find another picture!

message 19: by Chad (new)

Chad Yep definitely dolphins. They're more likely to sexually assault you than eat you.

Matthew Chad wrote: "Yep definitely dolphins. They're more likely to sexually assault you than eat you."

Hmmm - that actually sounds quite a bit more terrifying!

Rebecca McNutt Matthew wrote: "Chad wrote: "Yep definitely dolphins. They're more likely to sexually assault you than eat you."

Hmmm - that actually sounds quite a bit more terrifying!"

When I was in Florida the cottage I was staying at had a beat-up-looking copy of Jaws on the shelf autographed by the author with a little drawing of a shark fin and the words "stay outta the water!" written beside it. It's definitely an odd story and the author seemed to have a good sense of humor about it. :)

Matthew Rebecca wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Chad wrote: "Yep definitely dolphins. They're more likely to sexually assault you than eat you."

Hmmm - that actually sounds quite a bit more terrifying!"

When I was in Florida th..."

Ha! That's a great story!

As serious and scary it could be at times, you could tell he was going for pure entertainment - logic a reason be damned!

message 23: by Chad (new)

Chad I've actually been listening to a podcast about the making of Jaws, Inside Jaws.

Matthew Chad wrote: "I've actually been listening to a podcast about the making of Jaws, Inside Jaws."

That could be interesting - and a clever name!

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol I've been thinking of a re-watch on the movie but maybe reading it again would be better.

Enjoy your vacation and no more shark books until you're home.

Matthew Carol wrote: "I've been thinking of a re-watch on the movie but maybe reading it again would be better.

Enjoy your vacation and no more shark books until you're home."

Enjoy either or both depending on what you decide.

Thanks! I have been spending my time at the pool!😉