Arti's Reviews > China Rich Girlfriend

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

Mar 08, 2017

Read from February 28 to March 02, 2017

For those who have not read Kevin Kwan before, and who have not been to Asia, this is going to be one major culture shock. Just by the titles of his first two books (and a third which I'm going to seek out), Crazy Rich Asian, and China Rich Girlfriend, a Westerner can easily be turned off. I did too until I overcame my pre-judging (don't want to use the word prejudice) the book by its title. Why, as an Asian Canadian, I've hesitated picking up Kwan's books just because of the titles, but totally glad that I finally did and was swept away by Kwan's wild rides.

With titles like that, of course they have to be satires. And truly, they are, and what more, they read like Jane Austen in the 21st C. A middle-class, American raised Chinese immigrant daughter, Rachel Chu, academic and clueless about her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, fellow professor at NYU is Mr. Darcy incognito, until he brings her back home to his family in Singapore to attend his friend's wedding. That was the first book, and this sequel introduces more interesting characters, ok, sounds more like caricatures, but, they are justifiably entertaining and to me, not at all overly far-fetched.

Kudos to narrator Lydia Look who has done the impossible task of mixing accents of British English, Singaporean English, Hong Kong English, plus Cantonese, Hokkien, Mandarin dialects. A thoroughly entertaining and captivating performance.

Kevin Kwan knows his subjects, their society, their values, their prejudices and foibles. My question to him if I have the chance of bringing it up to him in person, which are fiction, which are auto-biographical?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read China Rich Girlfriend.

03/08 marked as: read