Ashley Gillan's Reviews > Secrets of a Reluctant Princess

Secrets of a Reluctant Princess by Casey Griffin

This book was a cute YA romp through today's high school world: where "reality TV" and social media rule and being perfect is the only way to stay away from humiliation. I would liken this book to a younger Sophia Kinsella novel - full of slapstick situations which can make you laugh out loud at their absurdity- or a 2000's teen movie with a modern twist - a light, sweet movie where everything turns out all right in the end. Yay!

Andrea "Andy" Bottom is the heiress to the Bottom's Bathrooms fortune, and her family's move to Beverly Hills and newfound riches are going to be chronicled on the show "Bathroom Barons." Soudns cool right? Except Andy is more "Lord of the Rings" than Kardashian, and while she tries to reinvent herself into a diva in the middle of the popular crowd for the sake of helping out her parents' business, she secretly longs to join a group of LARPers, headed up by the cute nerd Kevin. How long can she maintain this double life before it crashes down around her? She's about to find out.

This book has a great premise - Andy is literally named the "Porcelain Princess" of Bottom's Bathrooms - and there were some scenes that just had me laughing so hard. I loved that Andy seemed to find herself in these over-the-top situations after a couple things just didn't seem to want to go her way, just like in real life. I related to her realness.

I do wish that Kevin had some more development, though. It seemed like we just sort of were told that we liked him, without showing us why we were supposed to like him. He also seemed to fall in love a lot, with practically any girl who didn't make fun of him, which isn't a great sign, but I can forgive these issues for the sake of the storyline. The star of the show is Andy, and whoever her fairytale prince is, I'll support.

I also loved the reality television storyline because it felt so relevant. Everyone seems to be getting a show these days, and to get a "behind the scenes" peak at how that can be both a curse and a blessing was really cool.

Overall, this was an easy, cute read for anyone who enjoys a good fairytale or a good pun. You'll want this "Porcelain Princess" to be your friend in real life by the time you turn the last page.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Reluctant Princess.

Finished Reading