Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > The Bone Witch

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

liked it

When it raised its head, I saw that it had my brother’s face, drawn and bloodless and dead.
“Tea,” the figure said.
But then it smiled, and it was Fox’s smile, quiet and kind.
Oh hey! Remember me? I used to review YA books but stopped for a long ass time because I got burned out from reading boring/shitty ones. This book is the first new release YA I've read in what feels forever, because, well, hello? NECROMANCY! WHOO! Unfortunately, the book that brought about my return to reviewing and YA wasn't the most amazing one.

I mean, it was aight, it was pretty boring though. One good thing though, I liked her style of writing in this book, her descriptions were lovely, and I can't really describe them as anything other than light and delightful. However, it wasn't enough for me to be fully enthralled by the book. Not sure what it was, really. It had all the right elements, it just lacked a book spark for me. There is a pretty great magical system. There are fantastic hints of monsters that lurk in the deep.
These rumors sprouted up like bindweed along the edges of the kingdom and gorged themselves on whispers and fears. They told of daeva—strange and terrible monsters, maimed creatures assembled from scale-slicked bodies and yellowed fangs and spined limbs and horns.
Our heroine, Tea, lives in world full of witches. Her sisters are traditional witches, specializing in things like Forest and Water. Tea's power is unknown, but it turned out that she is a necromancer - one who can bring back the dead from the living, when she unwittingly wakes her dead brother from his coffin.

There was a lot of interesting stuff in this book, but unfortunately, it just couldn't keep my attention. I found it to be pretty boring; if I must compare it to the series, it would be sort of like the middle-grade Spook's Apprentice series, but while that premise and the short length of that book worked for it, this book just seems very lengthy and dull in comparison.

It truly is an interesting world, and one with a lot of potential. It just didn't draw me in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Witch.

Started Reading
March 8, 2017 – Shelved
March 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Well hey there Grinch! Glad to see you back! Great review I felt similarly about this one. Great potential but ultimately pretty boring.

Tori (InToriLex) Glad to see your back, we've missed you!!!

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Thanks, guys! I've been bored and missing you all. I will hopefully be around more :)

message 4: by Say (new)

Say Hi,
I see your review on a lot of the stuff I read, if you're into necromancy can I recommend "Hold me Closer, Necromancer" by Lish McBride (unless you've already read it)? It's sort of like a Douglas Adams version of the supernatural.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Say wrote: "Hi,

I have tried to read it, but I found the MC really irritating (teenaged boys, psh!) and DNFed!

message 6: by Say (last edited Mar 08, 2017 10:42AM) (new)

Say too bad.

L.P. Logan I liked this one, but youre right, it was pretty boring at times. What I think I loved most was the ending. I want to read the next one just to see how that happened.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Say wrote: "too bad.
I just finished this ladies "girl from the well".... so I don't know if I would be into this one TBH."

I didn't like Girl from the Well at all, and I think this is a completely different book than what she wrote before.

Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net Great review Khanh. I felt really similarly. Beautiful prose coupled with an awesome premise, but ultimately weighed down by worldbuilding that I think might have been too ambitious for a YA novel. It just sagged in the middle and nothing really happened.

Daniella Armstrong Welcome back! I'm hoping the second book will be better, but already feeling meh about it.

message 11: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Boyington Good to see you back! I always enjoy your reviews.

message 12: by Say (new)

Say Khanh (the Grinch) wrote: "Say wrote: "too bad.

I didn't like Girl from the Well at all, and I think this is a completel..."

good to know.

message 13: by Blue (new) - rated it 2 stars

Blue Dawn Love your reviews! :) And I've been torn about reading this book because on one hand it has an amazing premise but on the other hand lots of people keep saying it's boring...

message 14: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela Good to see you back. I love your reviews!

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Peregrym I wish you luck in your journey to find good YA books. There's gotta be at least two or three out there...

message 16: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha I missed you Khanh! Glad you're back!

message 17: by Alja (new)

Alja (alyaofwinterfell) So good to see you're back! I think I'll be skippin this book, the premise sounds fun but I doubt that it will be anything mindblowing

message 18: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn I missed you too!

message 19: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea missed you, Khanh. It's great to see you back

message 20: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Thomas I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK!!! I am sorry this is the book that brought you back but hey.

message 21: by hpboy13 (new) - added it

hpboy13 We need you back! Everytime I find a new YA book, I look for your snarky review, and lately it's not been there.

Meccalynette I felt the same way about this one.

message 23: by Jack (new)

Jack Truong I don't miss shitty books. I miss your review more.

message 24: by Mays (new)

Mays Ayyyye welcome back! Try reading An Ember in Ashes it's an amazing read

Basia Oh I'm DELIGHTED you're back!! Sorry your return to YA wasn't more exciting.
Yes, her style was beautiful, huh? Just maybe if she got the pacing a little better, right?
And maybe a tad less regarding the outfits? Something like, "The asha outfit resembles one of those Geisha dohickey thingies," and that would more than suffice for the majority of those scenes.
However, I DID love the italicized chapters best. It feels to me like the sequel may be where the story gets super good.

message 26: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Glad you're back~! Love your reviews~ :)

Chrissie I agree; this was a slow and tedious journey no where. Boring.

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria Drago There's necromancy in The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. Have you read it?

message 29: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Lewis I am almost to the middle of the book and have some of the same thoughts as you. Her writing style is amazing. She gives such rich descriptions without overdoing them. Unfortunately, the pace of the story is killing the story. She gets going with one point of view, then hits the brakes, and goes back to the other. It's not that I mind the two POVs, but she is not blending them well enough, and it's affecting the pace. Thank goodness, the story is good enough to keep me from putting it down for good.