Lyn's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This is on a short list with Moby-Dick; or, The Whale and The Old Man and the Sea for the great American novel.

And this one stands apart as a novel that is also a celebration of courage, integrity, and dignity.

If ever there is a lawyer who, at least once, didn’t admire and want to be like Atticus, then there’s something deeply wrong with that lawyer.

The scene where the courtroom is empty and Atticus is gathering his notes and files and the black folks in the upper room are waiting and then as he begins to depart, they all stand, and Scout asks why, and the man says, "Because your father is passing," gives me chills to this day, gave me chills typing that.

Beautifully written, a true classic.

** 2019 addendum - it is a testament to great literature that a reader recalls the work years later and this is a book about which I frequently think.

description

Quotes Lyn Liked

Harper Lee
“The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”
Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Finished Reading
August 2, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Leonardo I'm torn between this one and The Diary of a Young Girl for my next classic. Good review!

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Thanks Leonardo, it really is a great book

Linda Rowland Gave me chills, and tears reading that.

Lynn I loved your review and I love this book too. I never seem to get tired of it. I'm going to listen to Sissy Spacek's narration next time around.

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Thanks, Lynn, did not know about that audio performance, she would be great, thanks for the recommendation

Aj the Ravenous Reader I completely agree. Atticus Finch is one of the best characters I've met. He's my favorite character in this book.^^

message 7: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn No doubt, thanks, AJ

David Sarkies I agree, to me Atticus is everything that demonstrates that the law can be a noble profession.

message 9: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Absolutely, thanks David

P-eggy (semi-hiatus, semi-a Harlequin life The Old Man and the Sea is boring and Moby Dick goes on and on and on. I think Mockingbird is much better.

message 11: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Thanks, Mummy, and great points. If pressed to make a pick, I agree with you

P-eggy (semi-hiatus, semi-a Harlequin life I'm not your mummy (I can be if you really, really want me to be though), I'm Petra, you're a friend :-)

message 13: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Ha! Yes, ma'am, and thanks for being a friend, Petra

message 15: by Rory (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rory Lyn wrote: "Thanks, Mummy, and great points. If pressed to make a pick, I agree with you"

I would also agree, there's also a few classics which are very important to me (This, Catcher in the Rye 1984, etc) but for the most part I just find some of them to be incredibly overhyped, regardless of wether I enjoyed them or not (e.g Great Gatsby, Old Man & the Sea), controversial I know but it only applies to me.

message 16: by Rory (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rory David wrote: "I agree, to me Atticus is everything that demonstrates that the law can be a noble profession."

Atticus is the man, he is the living proof which goes to show that violence doesn't solve every problem.

message 17: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn Thanks Rory

message 18: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan I agree the classics are overrated, Rory, but I gave this one five stars.

Jolene Atticus Finch may very well be my favourite character in any story EVER. Maybe a tie between Atticus and Lee from East of Eden.

carol  saylorp -- . 6' /0/+/
-00

Lorna Lyn, what a heartfelt review of this great classic. I, too, get chills at the passage showing the respect

Lorna . . for Atticus. I love this book and I love your review. Thank you.

message 23: by Lyn (new) - rated it 5 stars