Rahim's Reviews > Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE

Shoe Dog by Phil Knight

Apr 24, 2017

This was such a great read. I've started to really enjoy autobiographies, but I was weary of this one, thinking that it might be masking a 'how-to' business book trying to give a bunch of tips. It wasn't. It was really a personal story of a person who has had incredible success almost trying to come to terms with many of the difficulties and loss that he endured along the way. Phil Knight opens up to his own feelings, at times even humble bragging a bit, showing a bit of insecurity in a way. It is endearing to read - some of the hardships are saddening, but the loyalty and friendships that he gained are enviable. He tells the story as he remembers it, doesn't shy away from alluding to many of the 'interesting' business practices that they likely had to get involved with (especially in emerging markets like China), and genuinely conveys his affection for his fellow team members. He makes you wish to live even a fraction of a fulfilling life as he has. It is without a doubt one of the few books that didn't just keep me gripped while reading, but also emotionally affected me to the point that I am still thinking about it days later. It was incredibly inspirational. I wish I had read such a book at the start of my career.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoe Dog.

January 1, 2017 – Started Reading