Lara Maynard's Reviews > Angel Catbird, Volume 1

Angel Catbird, Volume 1 by Margaret Atwood

did not like it
bookshelves: canlit, illustrated, reviewed, 2017-canbookchallenge

I'm a fan of Margaret Atwood for her politics and speaking out as much as for her literature, so it pains me a little to do this.

First, I am no expert on graphic novels. This was, l think, the second one I've read. What even makes it a "graphic novel" (rather than a longish comic with a hard cover) is unclear to me.

Nor am I a comic expert. I read tonnes of Archie comics, comic strips and occasional super hero comics in my 1980s youth, but little since then beyond the odd peruse of newspaper comics. And I do enjoy a good political cartoon, such as might be found in The New Yorker.

On Angel Catbird: weh-weh. I was not riveted, nor amused. I love Atwood, I love cats, I love birds. I do not love Catbird. I was not riveted, nor amused. It all seemed rather stale.

The most interesting parts of the book are essentially factoids/public service announcements about keeping cats spayed and indoors in order to keep them safe and to save wild bird populations. These messages are referenced in the comic text. And this do-goodism is admirable. I applaud it. The rest is generously so-so IMHO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Catbird, Volume 1.

March 7, 2017 – Started Reading