Judith Starkston's Reviews > The Song of Troy

The Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Troy.

message 1: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga Have you read books by Mary Renault and Robert Graves on ancient Greece?

message 2: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Starkston Pradeep wrote: "Have you read books by Mary Renault and Robert Graves on ancient Greece?"

Yes, those are the old standards, very enjoyable. There's a new generation of historical fiction that has a somewhat different more immediate feel to it, but Renault and Graves are wonderful.

message 3: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga Yes. But, the new generation of HF is mostly about Rome, not Greece. There are notable exceptions like Steven Pressfield.

message 4: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Starkston I haven't read Steven Pressfield yet, one of a number of authors I keep trying to get to....

Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer) Have you read the Forgotten Legion books by Ben Kane, they take place in ancient Rome, they are very good.

message 6: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Starkston Elizabeth wrote: "Have you read the Forgotten Legion books by Ben Kane, they take place in ancient Rome, they are very good."
Not yet. Glad to hear they're good. I'm always balancing reading fiction that's been out a while that I'd love to get to and the review books that come in to me with deadlines. Too often the older books get left off my reading. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 7: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga Pressfield's Gates of Fire (Thermopylae), Tides of War (Peloponnesian war)and the books on the Amazons and Alexander you will like. About earlier writers - have you ever read Henry Treece?

message 8: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Starkston Pradeep wrote: "Pressfield's Gates of Fire (Thermopylae), Tides of War (Peloponnesian war)and the books on the Amazons and Alexander you will like. About earlier writers - have you ever read Henry Treece?"

No, never read Treece. What's his work like?

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jul 11, 2012 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Gill Judith wrote: "Pradeep wrote: "Pressfield's Gates of Fire (Thermopylae), Tides of War (Peloponnesian war)and the books on the Amazons and Alexander you will like. About earlier writers - have you ever read Henry ..."

His work is pretty good. My favorite was Oedipus/The Eagle King. Jason was quite good, too. But I wasn't so keen on Elektra/The Amber Princess. Treece followed the then-current trend of bringing the Mycenaean culture down to a more primitive level when we now know that they were more civilized, bureaucratic, and wealthy than previously thought.

message 10: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Starkston Laura wrote: "Judith wrote: "Pradeep wrote: "Pressfield's Gates of Fire (Thermopylae), Tides of War (Peloponnesian war)and the books on the Amazons and Alexander you will like. About earlier writers - have you e..."

Thanks, Laura, for the info. You are incredibly well informed about the period, so your critique means a lot.

message 11: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga Actually, my favourite Treece books is The Golden Strangers. However, it's not about Greece but the Celts' conquest of the original inhabitants of Britain. The Green Man too, is quite good.
The best fiction based on Greek myths I have ever read is Graves' Golden Fleece.
By the way, is Ben Kane really good? Have never read. Want opinion before starting.

message 12: by Judith (new) - added it

Judith Starkston I haven't read Ben Kane either.

message 13: by Pradeep (new)

Pradeep Jayatunga How about Jack Ludlow? Any good?