Bibiana Krall's Reviews > Broken Pieces

Broken Pieces by Martha Perez

A traumatic story of child neglect, family abuse and then finally hope. Abby and Megan are young and at the mercy of their family’s penchant for drinking, wandering off or simply ignoring their duties to their children. When things become frustrating for the adults they hit or simply leave for days on end.

This story was indeed a sad one, but achingly realistic and told with an unusual point of view. From first to third and then back again. At first I was unsure who was speaking and realized that Abby very often saw herself in a third or external viewpoint, after she survived yet another emotional hurdle. A different use of voice, but effective to bring us closer to the emotional cost of such a life.

I will remark that there are some spelling errors, et cetera, but at the importance of a story like this being told with such honesty, I am overwhelmingly compelled to give it five stars. This text has the potential to give hope to so many children and adults who have gone through what Abby and Megan experienced.

The real standout of this story for me was the honesty, the hope and the amazing resilience of Abby to find her own way no matter what. While still retaining her sense of humanity and telling us with her actions, that hope can carry us through the darkness.

“We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world.” -Helen Keller
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Pieces.

March 7, 2017 – Started Reading