Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)'s Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins

bookshelves: tbr2018

Ahhhh, The Great Hunt. Was it good? Yes... but not "sell out my family to the White Queen" good.

Look, I won't bore y'all with a long-ass review, aye. But I will share some of my thoughts on this book.

THE PREMISE:

It was fun! Nothing original, though. It's your generic "princess's kingdom is under attack by something evil and a bunch of dudes/commoners come to her rescue and save the kingdom" type of book.

Now, I'd be a complete liar if I didn't tell you all that I. Am. Trash. For. Tropes.™ (hmm, that would make for a really cool read-a-thon). It's got your typical forbidden love trope, and I loved every minute of it.

You see, Princess Aerity comes from a kingdom where the Lashed--people with magic abilities--aren't allowed to practice magic and are actually looked down upon for possessing such abilities. Even if it means using magic to save lives, it's against the law. The only one allowed to practice magic for healing purposes is the kingdom's royal healer. Many are also prejudice against the Lashed because one bad apple many years ago ruined it for them all. With a kingdom falling apart, and with a beast attacking the royal lands, the King is left with "no other choice" but to sacrifice his own daughter through a proclamation.

“Aerity…” Her father paused as if the words he was forming pained him. “I must ask you to sacrifice the promise of love for the sake of our kingdom.”

THE CHARACTERS:

There were quite a few, which was probably my only real issue with this book. Too many POVs for a duology--but who knows, maybe the author is planning on doing a spin-off series? I just found that a lot of characters were introduced and that was that. Not much background information. Not a whole lot of character development either. Even the MCs' personalities were quite bland.

THE ROMANCE:

Princess Aerity, pretty much the entire book:

description

Aside from the main ship, there were a few side love boats... if ya know what I mean.

OVERALL:

Just an average read. I don't feel bad about reading this duology, though. So if you're just looking for a filler book to read in-between those really long, mentally draining ones, then I'd say give this a go, aye.

3.5 starrrrzzzz

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.

March 7, 2017 – Shelved