Jill's Reviews > War and Peace

bookshelves: 2008reads, books-i-own
Recommended to Jill by: Ero
Recommended for: Jane Austen lovers
Read in April, 2008

1. I read the 1978 Penguin Classics two volume edition. (After having lost a huge 1 volume version earlier. 2 volumes = much easier commuting.)

2. My friend Ero was giving away a copy. I never thought I would read War and Peace and turned it down. But then he said that he read it -- and as soon as he finished, went out and got another translation and started reading it again, because he had gotten attached to the characters and didn't want it to end. I had just finished reading What is the What, was high on good characters, and that was enough to sell me.

3. I devoted 2 months of reading life to this book. Which would normally make me claustrophobic -- there are so many things to read out there that spending two full months on any one book seems outrageous to me. But. It was well worth it.

The book reads more like Jane Austen than most of the Russian lit I've ever tried, and I love it for that. Tolstoy is clearly brilliant, I became deeply attached to the characters, and overall if you have two months to kill, I think you should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War and Peace.

message 1: by Ero (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ero hooray!
i almost asked you about this, but i didn't want to be a w&p pressurizer.

message 2: by Luciana (new)

Luciana D'Andretta You almost managed to convince me to read this. Awesome review!