Lyn's Reviews > A Hat Full of Sky

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

One of Terry Pratchett’s best.

I don’t often gush for a book, but this one was very good. Pratchett’s 2004 Discworld story Hat Full of Sky (and second featuring Tiffany Aching and her friends the pictsies – the Nac Mac Feegle wee free men) was a joy to read.

I’d like to see this made into a film just to see how a clever and talented director handled Miss Level. Like all of Pratchett’s Discworld books, this is wryly funny and sardonically playful and he takes on some heavy themes like family, tradition, peer pressure and isolation but wrapped up in a fun sized parade of interesting characters and entertaining scenes. Sir Terry also mixes in some serious horrific elements with the invasive Hiver.

Part of the fun was Pratchett’s devilishly inventive way of weaving in popular references and I was thrilled to pick up on the Frank Herbert Dune - Bene Gesserit allusion (witches). Pratchett had a mischievous streak and this wink and nod silliness comes across and makes our PRATCHETT-SMILE-O-METER work overtime.

This one also had that little something extra that makes a book special, it all came together nicely as a Los Angeles rug belonging to Maude’s mom. This may seem like an oblique comparison, but I was reminded of Charles Portis’ 1968 western novel True Grit. In that wonderful book, Portis had two of his most enigmatic characters share the stage. In Hat Full of Sky, Pratchett spends plenty of time with Granny Weatherwax and Tiffany and their interactions and dialogue is what makes this rise above the rest.

Highly recommended.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hat Full of Sky.

March 6, 2017 – Started Reading
March 6, 2017 – Shelved
March 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Ecem  Yücel Great review! Tiffany Aching series just gets better and better. I loved each one more than the previous one and the last book made me cry actually :,) The next book, Wintersmith, has a very original story in my opinion, hope you enjoy it too! ^^

message 2: by Bee (new)

Bee One of the best, be far

message 3: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks, I'm looking forward to reading them all

message 4: by Bee (new)

Bee The last one made me more than cry. But Pratchett's death was literally like loosing an uncle. Pratchett is what got me so deeply hooked on reading from the ages of 10, and has felt like a kindly uncle guiding me through life ever since.

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I'm going to read them all and read that last.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Can never go wrong with Discworld.

message 7: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn True

message 8: by Denis (new)

Denis Wow! I really should read Pratchett.

lucky little cat The series that gave my family our favorite threat to spout: "Ooh, when you put me down, yer gonna get sich a kickin'!"

message 10: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars