Sadie Forsythe's Reviews > Can't Fight Fate

Can't Fight Fate by Lisa N. Edwards

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf

DNF page 112

I hate doing this, but I'm not finishing this book. I really try to give books I win here on GR a chance, but sometimes I just can't finish them. This is one such book. First, the editing is a mess. I read in the acknowledgments that the author remortgaged her house to produce the book, so I feel horrible saying it. But the truth is that the editing IS A MESS. But my problem is with the story, I'd have put up with the editing.

Here is a 38-year-old, presumably professional woman, but all she seems focused on is finding a man. And sure, I could say, "It's a romance, of course that's what it's going to focus on." But the focus isn't on romance, it's on finding a man. As if the man is the object of importance. What's worse, the psychic that sends her on this quest is very clear, if she chases him he will flee. If she wants her perfect man, she has to let him pursue her. So, as always a woman is told to sit quietly, give the man all the power and she'll get what will really make her happy in the end. NO. No, no, no. I am so sick of this message to women.

This is of course coupled with the best friend brags about her infidelities, but is actually miserable. So far, the book presents one type of happiness and dismisses all others. (But getting a job by 'accidentally' flashing the boss your bra is ok.......)

My final straw was the scene where she meets him, the love interest. She spills a black martini on her pink dress. (Because the cliche clumsy woman is just sooo cute. Not.) Her best friend leaves her in the bathroom in her lingerie while she takes the dress into the restaurant kitchen and has the busy head chef help her dip it in black food dye, to match the spill. She then brings it back, dry and the women go back to their dates. As if I'm supposed to believe a head chef has time for something like that and that he'd be willing (food and health safety regulations be damned), or that it would work, or that it would be dry in less than a hour, and that that same dye wouldn't leach all over her skin in a black mess. It was at this point that I gave up and put the book aside.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Fight Fate.

March 6, 2017 – Shelved
March 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 5, 2018 –
page 58
22.66% "She misses 27 calls from her best friend because the phone is on silent after her long-haul flight from Australia, ok fine. (We won't discuss her not telling anyone she was coming or arranging pick up or her friend miraculously calling just as she needs her.) BUT she literally just answered a call on the same phone because THE IT RANG. So, it wasn't on silent."
May 5, 2018 –
page 112
43.75% "She spills a black martini on her pink dress, so her friend takes it into the kitchen of the busy restaurant where the head chef helps her dip in black dye and then she brings it back dry, in time for them to return to their dates and continue dinner.
I didn't think I was reading a fantasy novel."
May 5, 2018 – Shelved as: dnf