Amberlee Bixler's Reviews > To Own a Dragon: Reflections on Growing Up Without a Father

To Own a Dragon by Donald Miller

Aug 02, 2011

Read 3 times

To Own A Dragon is soon to be re-released under a different title, relative more deftly to the elephant's referenced in the writings.

I have to admit, I am a fatherless child as well, but I did not respond to this book at all the way I thought I would. Mr. Miller's prose, although hauntingly beautiful and powerful in its simplicity, told the story of a boy thrust into adulthood unprepared and ill-equipped due to the lack of a father in his life. It seemed, given our similar childhood experiences, I would have some deep, intrinsic understanding of Mr. Miller's perspectives and situation. I didn't, and, honestly, I still don't.

That said, I adore this book. It is one of my absolute favorites (if not just my absolute favorite) for its direct honesty and complete lack of pretense. The stories flow into each other as if Mr. Miller grabbed a cup of coffee (or a beer) with a friend, and just opened up his personal history books to share with the world. It's relevant, honest, tragic at times, and shows why Mr. Miller is this generation's Hemingway (sans the inbred cats and alcohol-laced bitterness).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Own a Dragon.