Cathrine ☯️ 's Reviews > Playing with Fire

Playing with Fire by Tess Gerritsen

bookshelves: group-challenge

As other reviews have noted, readers who enjoyed books like Sarah's Key will take this one to heart. Using a mysterious piece of music as a bridge to connect a family from the past to one in the present, it moved swiftly and kept my interest from start to finish. Was it a coincidence that the pages numbered about the same as those memorialized on a plaque in Venice that inspired this story? History and mystery combined with just the right amount of chilling malevolence resulted in a moving, inspiring, and informative page-turner complete with a twisted ending and denouement that was faithful and true.
Other books by Tess Gerritsen will definitely be added to my TBR.

My GR friends know that I particularly love a twofer so I was delighted to learn that the author is a musician herself and was inspirited to compose Incendio which is a lovely accompaniment to the book as well as a moving tribute to those who perished and those who were willing to put their own lives at risk. You can listen by clicking the link.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing with Fire.

Started Reading
March 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2017 – Shelved as: group-challenge
March 6, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug Bradshaw Sounds like one I'd enjoy. Have you read any of Sarah Dunat's books. She one of my favorites.

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Lovely, C! I'm adding this one .

message 3: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Nice review, Cathrine. This is on my list.

Phrynne It's a lovely book but it is not Gerritson's normal genre. Most of her books are pretty bloodthirsty mysteries. They are very good too!!!

Diane S ☔ Good review, C. Enjoyed the video.

Carla Johnson-Hicks I read this book and really enjoyed it. All of Tess Gerritsen's books are not like this one though. She writes a lot of thrillers.

Cathrine ☯️ Phrynne wrote: "It's a lovely book but it is not Gerritson's normal genre. Most of her books are pretty bloodthirsty mysteries. They are very good too!!!"

Ooh, I don't know then. Just how bloodthirsty? Like in a sick, disturbing way?

Cathrine ☯️ Cathrine ☯ wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "It's a lovely book but it is not Gerritson's normal genre. Most of her books are pretty bloodthirsty mysteries. They are very good too!!!"

Ooh, I don't know then. Just how bloodthi..."

You know, now that I think of it there was a TV series R&I and I tried it once or twice and thought it too gruesome. Maybe I'll pass on that.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Catherine I love this author but havent read this one yet. Thanks for your review and the reminder.

message 10: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer A most unique twofer! This one is already on my list. Thanks, as always, for your awesome review.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review - now am going over to youtube!

message 12: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Lovely review Cathrine!

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!