Lydia Howe's Reviews > The Bridge

The Bridge by Jeri Massi

bookshelves: read-in-2017, 2017-five-star, 2017-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read March 6, 2017 to March 8, 2017.

My sister first read me this book when I was three, so it's not an exaggeration when I say I grew up with the book. I'm guessing that I've read it at least ten times, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I've read it more than that.

This was the first time I've read the book in several years though, and I was actually amazed that there were sentences, paragraphs, and even one chapter that I hadn't specifically remembered. I was delighted over and over again at how the author weaves the story into place and draws us into the world she created.

I don't know how to explain this except to say that the Bracken Trilogy is so woven into my childhood that I hardly know where one ends and the other begins. Every time I had to go outside to get something I would act like I was Rosalynn riding Herron's horse, Javelin. Rosewyn and I had so much in common that I was reminded of her quite often. And, I spent hours in the woods climbing along hills and creek banks acting like I was Krea from "The Two Collars."

While reading this book I not only saw Princess Rosalynn escaping, but I also saw dozens of my own memories of different times during my childhood where I had pretend to be Princess Rosalynn, or else where I'd read bits of her story.

This is truly a delightful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridge.

Finished Reading
March 6, 2017 – Started Reading
March 6, 2017 – Shelved
March 6, 2017 –
page 100
86.21% "Oh dear. This cover on Goodreads is a nightmare. The real cover is much, much better."
March 8, 2017 –
page 102
87.93% "Oh wow, I had actually forgotten this part! And here I thought I could basically quote the whole book word for word...."
March 8, 2017 – Finished Reading