Luciana Cavallaro's Reviews > Dragons, Deserts And Dreams: poems short stories and artworks

Dragons, Deserts And Dreams by Anne Frandi-Coory

Unique, thought-provoking and heart-wrenching is how I describe Ms. Frandi-Coory’s latest book, 'Dragons, Deserts and Dreams'. It is a collection of poems, short stories and endearing artwork. The author has compiled extraordinary creative prose and artwork that compliment and evoke an emotional response.

I am not a big poetry reader and have recently begun to appreciate the nuances and beauty in poems, and after reading Ms. Frandi-Coory’s poems, I applaud her for the imagery that is evident in her works.

Some are tributes to those who were wronged or abused, others poems were remanences, and then there were the personal and painful expressions of a life experienced none to pleasantly by those who inflicted physical and psychological trauma.

The personal short stories, is how I perceive them, especially having read the author’s first book, Whatever happened to Ishtar? A passionate quest to find answers for generations of defeated mothers, a memoir come family history. The stories are window into the back-story of her family’s plight, especially the women. It also gives insight into the person who wrote this book.

As for the artwork, they complement the poems and short stories, and demonstrate the remarkable creativity and gift of the creator of this book.

I did not know what to expect when I started reading this book, the mix of poetry, artwork and short stories is an unusual blend, however it works really well. This book will make you smile, angry, and saddened. This is an amazing endeavour undertaken by the author, and a fabulous book that I highly recommend to readers who appreciate and enjoy something a little different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragons, Deserts And Dreams.

February 24, 2017 – Started Reading