Jokoloyo's Reviews > Full Fathom Five

Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone

1902630

tldr: please be patient up to half of the story by absorbing the details. The last 20% were marvelous!
==============
I blame Three Parts Dead for making me set a high standard for Full Fathom Five (FFF) and other Craft Sequence novels. High standard in plot developments, and high standard of world building, and high standard for making me surprised. FFF only lacks in speed of plot development for the first half. Sometimes there was interesting development, but mainly I have to be patient and pay attention to the details.

For characters, FFF is better than Craft Sequence #2 novel. (view spoiler).

For world building, what more can I say... It is the main attraction of the Craft Sequence! Blending priest jobs with investment management jobs, or poets as night club stars, to name two of trademark of Craft interesting settings.

Layers of revelation started come after about the half of story. And this is the good part: Not only you will be rewarded due to pay attention to this novel, but also because you had paid attention for the series. Some details of previous novels are hinted. I detected a hint for Craft Sequence #5 (that chronically happened before FFF), but that's just for icing the cake.

I start to admire the author's craft to make a series with publication order not parallel with chronically order of the story. It is not an easy task to make still-interesting prequels/sequels in this way, but with this third novel, I am believing it might work.

An excellent middle novel in a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Fathom Five.

March 5, 2017 – Shelved
March 6, 2017 – Started Reading
March 8, 2017 –
13.0% "The action of chapter one is too confusing. Only at chapter four I could engage with the story."
March 22, 2017 –
April 14, 2017 –
42.0% ""Would you like to come inside," she said. It wasn't a question. For a sentence to be a question, you had to care about the other person's answer."
April 16, 2017 –
46.0% ""Begging's the wrong line of work for you. Should have been a cop. Or a spy."

"I never had a chance to choose.""
May 9, 2017 –
53.0% ""You'll take care of this today?"
"As soon as I can. Wharever gods are watching, I hope they help us both."
"Let's keep gods aout of it.""
May 10, 2017 –
56.0% "“All poets are soldiers. We fight our wars across centuries.”"
May 12, 2017 –
78.0% "Uh-oh from this part and beyond I don't have a heart to say anything about the content, it could be major spoiler. But it's getting good."
May 13, 2017 – Finished Reading