C.G. Drews's Reviews > Every Move

Every Move by Ellie Marney

bookshelves: 4-star, aussie-authors, read-2015, thriller-crime, young-adult, retelling

So I love this series. I LOVE IT A LOT. But the finale wasn't quite everything to me. I think the first two books just had the bar raised so, so high. I did still love it though!! And I will forever be in love with the pitch of..what if Sherlock Holmes was the boy next door... OMG HOW IS THIS OVER NOW? I'M GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWAL FOREVER.

Okay but first we need to talk about the darling sweeties: Rachel and Mycroft. I LUFF THEM. I also ship them quite hard. They've both gone through exceptional character development (Mycroft more so) and they've been through so much together and their romance feels so real and deep. aWK. The the I love most about this series, as I always say, is how incredibly real it feels. The characters are legit Aussies you'd stumble across on the street. SQUEEE. I love Mycroft's tragic moodiness and how he is quite emotional at the same time as being a genius robot. LIKE HOW EVEN!??! But it works and it's wonderful. Rachel...I still adore her. But she did go through a lot of PTSD in this book. Understandably. But having Rachel avoiding the mystery and freaking out all the time didn't make for as exciting and captivating reading as the first books.

And then there was also a "maybe love triangle" scare which was not okay, no no no. It was good though. It was sensibly and realistically written and I WAS OKAY. But the first 100-pages of this book just...balhhhh. I was not happy.
description

I was also not happy with the finale. I mean, finales are supposed to be everything right?!? But I got bored. I legit put down the book 50-pages from the end and wandered off to conquer a small country because it just wasn't holding me. The big show down happens in the country, back at Rachel's old home in 5 Mile Creek. And there were just chapters of them setting stuff up and having DNM (deep 'n' meaningfuls) and I WAS JUST KINDA BORED. Like the last book was all bombs and torture and TERROR and then this is just wattle trees and snuggling in sleeping bags and planning to catch a baddie, sans police??? It felt a) unrealistic, and b) anticlimatic. The actual finale was great, though, but I didn't feel scared at all. I felt like it'd work out okay because the buildup had been so...calm.

It also didn't feel as clever plot-wise as the first books. BUT GAH. I got closure! I got answers! I AM MILDLY HAPPY. We find out who Moriarty is (I didn't call it! Dangit...) and we get introduced to Harris, who's Mike's old friend from 5 Mile, and he's a real piece of work. BUT I REALLY LIKED HIM BY THE END.

OH OH OH AND THERE WAS THIS ONE PART THAT LITERALLY HAD ME FREAKING OUT OF MY SKULL. I could not even. Like beyond that. I think I screeched a little. Omg, how dare the baby darlings get hurt like that. HOW DARE.
description

It's not my favourite conclusion...but it's still a FREAKING GOOD BOOK. I adore this series. It's so Aussie, and I swear they drank like 9 gallons of tea throughout the book, and I loved the country-vibe in this one. AND I LOVE MYCROFT AND RACHEL SO MUCH. I love how they're friends first and then a couple second. And I love how they both are so dimension and messed up and complex. And Sherlockness. Yuuuuuuusssssss. Sherlock, my darlings.

Merged review:

Merged review:

HOW CAN IT BE OVER FOREVER. OMG. HOLD ME I HAVE TEARS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Move.

November 10, 2015 – Started Reading
November 10, 2015 –
page 122
35.88% "IF THIS DEVELOPS INTO A LOVE-TRIANGLE I'M GOING TO STAB MYSELF IN THE EYE WITH A SPORK."
November 10, 2015 –
page 202
59.41% "WHAT!?!? NO. NOOOOOO. Pls not this is not okay."
November 11, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star