Margaret's Reviews > Iced: An Atlantic City Hustlers Boxset

Iced by Veronica Forand

I read and reviewed both of these stories when they were initially released and was happy to see them put together in a box set. I love my sports romances and these two novellas packed a whole lot of sport romance goodness into two novella sized stories...and it's hockey!!!

See reviews below - and I'd definitely recommend this set to anyone who loves not just a sports romance, but a romance of any kind!

FLIRTING ON ICE
I really enjoy a good sports romance, and Flirting on Ice delivers a big hockey romance tied up in a neat little novella package. This was a quick, fun read with a bit of angst, a touch of drama, and a lot of romance – even if the two people involved in the romance know they can’t be together and spend most of the time romancing from afar!

I just loved both Zac and Heather. Zac was just a good guy – sure he sowed some wild oats when he first started his professional career, but he’s really settled in to his role as team captain, has embraced his team as his family, and keeps himself out of the spotlight. Heather is in the spotlight since her father is the owner of the hockey team, but she’s used her role to help with the family’s foundation and has dedicated herself to helping the children in the community. She’s a strong woman who knows what she wants, and of course what she wants is Zac!

I’m not a huge fan at insta-love, but since there is a lot of history between these two – make that four year of history – it was easy to see these two falling hard and fast for one another. It was frustrating watching Zac and Heather struggle to even be in a relationship, and I found myself wishing that they would stop doing what they thought was best for each other all the time – since we all know how much trouble that usually causes – but watching the end result made it all worthwhile.

I’m not sure on the plans for a series, but I would love to see more books on the rest of the players on the team – starting with Zac’s best friend Sequoia as well as Andre, the team veteran…and let’s not forget Mikhail…oh, yes, I think there are plenty of stories to tell!

Once again the authors provide a seamless story that I’m hard-pressed to find where one voice ends and another takes over. They have found a writing partnership that truly works and delivers an engaging story in one consistent voice – kudos to both authors for blending together so well…and keep these stories coming!

SIMMERING ICE
This was a great read that had so much going on it was hard to believe it was only a novella. And unlike most novellas, the only thing this story left me wanting more of was the next book in the series.

Alec was everything you would want in a man. He’s suffered the tragic loss of his wife, but once he meets Annie he is open to the possibility of…more. He’s the grounding force of his hockey team, and although his nickname Sequoia refers to his size, it’s really more a testament to how big his presence and personality are on and off the ice. And watching him take care of Annie when she gets injured was just….*sigh*.

Annie has all sorts of issues to deal with when it comes to her self-esteem – I just cringed every time Annie’s mother opened her mouth. Talk about a mother who was totally unsupportive and judgmental, it’s no wonder Annie was always second guessing herself. She’s had some bad luck in the dating department as well, most recently finding out her boyfriend had been cheating on her for quite some time. Although she is attracted to Alec, she still doubts herself and is afraid to trust that what they may have is anything that can last.

Alec and Annie together were such a great couple. What starts off as a friendship based on some one-on-one time on the basketball court quickly develops into something more. Annie is just what Alec needs to begin to move on with his life since his wife’s death. She’s vibrant and fun, and isn’t afraid to challenge him. Their banter was fun, and until Annie begins to cloud her feelings with her insecurities they look to be on a smooth course to a happy ever after.

It was great to spend some time with the team, on and off the ice, and it was nice to see Zac and Heather (from book one) and catch up a bit with them. It’s always fun to hear the banter and ribbing amongst the guys on the team, and it was fun to watch Annie in the middle of it during the event she attended with Alec.

This is a great, quick read, perfect for any romance lover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iced.

Finished Reading