Gilly's Reviews > Paradise Girl

Paradise Girl by Phill  Featherstone

Read 2 times. Last read March 8, 2017.

I was approached by Phill Featherstone via Twitter (after posting one of my book review blog posts). He contacted me asking if I would take it upon myself to read his book in exchange for an honest review. When looking into Phill and his book more I realised one, he is originally from Yorkshire (I too am from Yorkshire) and two it was a YA Dystopian book (one of my favourite categories). Both facts swung me and I agreed to read the book.

Kerryl is a 17 year old girl living on a farm in the Yorkshire hills. She leads a pretty normal life, although she is a very bright girl.

A deadly virus has been striking people all around the world but finally it has come to England! One by one Kerryls family members die of this virus, eventually leaving her running the farm and continuing to look after the farm animals.

She decides to write two diaries one green, one purple. One relates to before the virus the other relates to the time of the virus.

The book is well written and easy to read as it’s in diary form and this makes for short and snappy reading. I read the book in 2 days and was hooked from page one. It’s by far a happy book and the ending is a little confusing, but I think it’s left to your own interpretation so again not a bad thing.

At times the narrative slipped slightly and at first I thought that some phrases wouldn’t come from a 17 year old but then I reminded myself that Kerryl is much older in thought than her young years.

I loved the references to other famous books earlier in the story and the build up of the story was amazing too. Kerryl was a character that you could easily warm to and you found yourself rooting for her as well.

All in all it’s a moving yet achingly sad story, one however that could so easily come true and so very believable.

This book will certainly be a book that I won’t forget and it cleverly touches on mental health issues, plus the way technology can certainly be a crutch in society today.

If Phill is writing another book then I’d love to read it and I thank him for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book too.

Even though this is aimed at the YA category I’d certainly recommend it to adults too.

I gave this 5/5 on goodreads and was well deserved!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paradise Girl.

March 4, 2017 – Started Reading