Mary D'Alto's Reviews > The Bad Canadian

The Bad Canadian by Leonard Mokos

This book so captivated me that I changed my Saturday plans to finish reading it. Really. It is that good.

I gritted my teeth as I began this book; war books do not generally suit me. But here I was with this book .. about war! Well, by the end of the first page I was intrigued. Some time later, I changed my weekend plans and spent an amazing time on an amazing journey with this incredibly real book. I think that's the best way to describe this book. it is real.

This is the tale of many deaths, some of them on the battlefield, some not, and some not resulting in the end of life per se, but the end of living nonetheless. I will not divulge the story line but know that in reading this book you will understand how it is that events transform not just history but the people who are part of history.

I liked the flow of this book, and the way secrets were intertwined with every day life, because of course that is the way circumstances play out, for so many reasons. This book was so crystal clear that I felt as if I could see that rug in a certain room on a certain memorable day. I could also feel the tension, and the underlying thoughts, as vividly as if they had been put into words ( they had not, which in itself is proof of very good writing).

I do wish I had learned more of Sara, and a certain situation and the means by which she sought a resolution. This is not a criticism of the book, but merely my own curiosity. Of all the characters, I found it was Sara I did not like, because she chose honor over loyalty. Then again, the entire predicament took place in another time, which in itself proves that war takes place in many places, not just the battlefield.

I wonder if the writer has ever considered a second book, one in which Henry returns, of not. There is clearly enough magic here to make it happen, and I have no doubt it will be superb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Canadian.

March 3, 2017 – Started Reading