Crazy4Books's Reviews > City of Skies

City of Skies by Farah Cook

liked it
bookshelves: review-books, 2017-releases

Im not that familiar with Norse mythology (besides the Movie Thor) and Vikings so I thought that aspect was compelling. The raider school was fascinating and I loved all the training quests Nora had to go on. I thought the training was really exciting. I liked how the contrast in beliefs between the east and the west affected Nora. Her mysterious past and abilities intrigued me. The explanation for her abilities was interesting. I enjoyed her relationship with Helena but was kind of sad with how things ended.

I would have loved it if Nora was a little more snarky. I feel like it would have fit her well. For example, when her allocator was complaining about her first day I wish she would have said something to defend herself, like: "What do you expect. I need more than a freaking minute to adjust to being ripped from my home and thrown into a completely new environment." I also wanted her to tell her teacher that the only reason he was upset was because she knew all the answers.

I dont know how to feel about Frederick. He makes an entertaining rival but not a very good romantic interest. Im not a big fan of arrogant, manipulative or controlling love interests but I dont think I was meant to like Frederick in this book. I probably wasnt meant to trust him but I think the sequel might surprise us. One of the major things that bothered me was how he grabbed Noras shirt and told her to stop asking silly questions.

I didnt like how Nora was always thinking about Frederick because it made her seem kind of needy and I imagined her more as the independent type. I wasnt a fan of the romance in general but its not the main focus of the story. I also wasnt impressed when they didnt give her time to say goodbye to her friends and when they wouldnt tell her why they were taking her away but I think the author did that on purpose to make me feel for the character.

I saw the Karen thing coming and I was a little disappointed we didnt didnt get any new information from her about Nora abilities but Im sure we'll get more anwsers in the sequel. I had a difficult time following some of the world building and the mountain climbing scene. Despite my issues the story kept me engaged and I enjoyed all the action. For an indie debut series this is a good start and I think the sequel has potentiel to get even better. Not to mention, I love finding enjoyable books from diverse authors.

*received in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Skies.

March 3, 2017 – Started Reading
March 3, 2017 – Shelved
March 5, 2017 –
5.0% "Hoping to have review up for this tuesday."
March 5, 2017 –
12.0% "I dont understand why they cant give her a few minutes to say good bye. Its just frustrating."
March 5, 2017 –
15.0% "Im that kind of mood where everything frustrates me. I just want to know why they wont tell her whats going on."
March 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

✰♊ Angie ♊✰ Great review, doll! xx

Marieke Take a chair, a glass and a bottle of your favourite drink ands dive in to this book. The world around you will cease to excist until you end this book. Wow i read it and could not put uit down. Best book i read in a long time.

Sandy Thanks for this review (which expresses much of my own feelings) of a book which contained some good ideas but didn't deliver characters or relationships which were immersive. The book and its sequel are easy to read but just too predictable and not involving enough.

Kristin Lebrou Generally liked the story and it kept me interested but I think the book suffers a bit from poor editing. Lots of typos, incomplete sentences, and repetition. Not sure if I will continue with the series.

Petra K This book was refreshing! With all the YA fantasy books out there this one was something new. I actually think that the grammar was better than most books. A wonderful book that has great pace and leaves you excited for more. I really liked the complexity of the main character. She goes through many different changes, and the reader gets to follow her thoughts, which are wild and untamed.