Christina (A Reader of Fictions)'s Reviews > Rules for a Rogue

Rules for a Rogue by Christy Carlyle

liked it

Rules for a Rogue was fine. The writing's good, and I really enjoyed elements of the concept. The only issue is that I never felt remotely invested in Phee and Kit. They bore me. They were in love as children but he went to London to pursue playwriting and acting and left her behind in their hometown, breaking her heart, but they've both continued to love each other. They spend freaking forever dancing around each other, and she refuses to trust him again, which is reasonable, but also really irritating when you know how this is going to go.

Neither one quite felt like real people to me either. The show was constantly stolen by the side characters and their obvious future ships: the odious Dunstan and the not-standing-for-his-shit Milly, the lascivous Grey and the logical Sophia, and even the morbid Clary. All of them were so much more interesting than the main two, who fail to feel fully fleshed out.

Aside from feeling mild the entire time, I really have nothing to overtly criticize about this book. I think there's promise here, especially because I loved the competing books of guidelines for young ladies and that a subplot of it is all about innovation in publishing. I just hope I ship the ship in book two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules for a Rogue.

March 3, 2017 – Shelved