North of Normal Book Reviews's Reviews > Lessons in Gravity

Mar 03, 2017

bookshelves: 5-star, first-pages-review, new-adult, romance

*This is a first-pages review by CM McCoy for North of Normal Book Reviews *

Shivers and urgency!

Opening this romance with a full-bladdered, tent-camping chill was brilliant. There’s this subtle humor juxtaposed with a heartbreaking burden of grief AND a good old-fashioned, morning-cold-of-tent-camping slap in the face. I love this main character already. With her, I’m shivering. I’m already on the edge of my seat. And most importantly, I’m hooked. Bring on the romance!

Megan Westfield has obviously been camping with a flat ground pad and describes the discomfort and bone-chill perfectly. More perfect is the her set-up of this MC for an epic romance, which is hidden in the white space: her heart is still hurting from her father’s death, she doesn’t really want to be here–in a tent, freezing her butt off –BUT right about now, she’d love some body heat, if you know what I mean ;-)

Even though I like the voice and the background info in her early-version first page, I can tell it was her “engine-cranking” (you know–all the writing an author has to do before they get down to telling the story.) All of that backstory will be woven into the narrative, and this novel starts the way a novel should–with shivers and a sense of urgency.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons in Gravity.

Finished Reading