Emily Palermo's Reviews > Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines

Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines by Natalie Wee

In Our Body & Other Fine Machines, Natalie Wee skillfully weaves a poetry collection that is less an experience of merely reading and more an immersion of the deepest and most transcendental kind. With her expert use of rich and bone-bearing language, Wee draws her readers into poetry that, above all else, circles hungrily around what it means to be human. She refuses to shy away from the feelings we perpetually avoid—fear, anger, longing. Rather, she relishes in them with a tenderness that seeps off the page, focusing especially upon the complexities and vehemence of desire, which she captures in a way that creates an earthquake in the body.

Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines is a beautiful study in honesty; Wee allows us to witness her dealings with everything, from sexuality to the immigrant experience, from survival to the body itself. This poetry collection simply blooms, extending itself beyond the confines of the page into your own heart as she copes with the wild and wonderful experience of life—the heartbreak, the elation, the all-encompassing anxiety.

Despite this blend of jagged emotions, Wee leaves us with a beautiful message of hope: “We can be sun-bodied / arrows in flight, / uncomplicated / & necessary” (from “Let Us Be Fireflies”).

And with works of art like this in our shaking hands, I truly believe we will be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Bodies & Other Fine Machines.

Started Reading