Melissa Darnold's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

5872032
Aug 01, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, authors-p-z-series, genre-adventure, genre-sci-fi-fantasy
Read 6 times

Okay, so this is my favorite book out of the series. I can't explain why I love it the way I do nor what makes it more special than the rest. This was the first book I'd ever read that had extended five-hundred pages. There's so so much in this book that JKR makes special, which makes it hard to forget. Winky, and the Quidditch World Cup. Ron's jealousy over Hermione going to the Ball with Krum, and the return of Dobby. Padfoot, and "Mad-Eye", and Dumbledore, and the wonderful, wonderful adventures.

The Triwizard tasks have always been one of my favorite things about The Goblet of Fire. My favorite part of the Tournament, I think, is the sphinx. The entire chapter that focuses on the third task I really enjoy, though. It's like the world zeros in on just Harry and all other things fall away. I love that J.K. Rowling has the ability to do this to me, even after all of these years of me rereading the books and watching the films again. I also love the rise of Voldemort. Okay, I mean, clearly I'm not all, "Death Eaters, yay" about it, but the absence of humanity in He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named has always been very interesting to me; especially in The Half-Blood Prince. The "graveyard scene" in this book, however, still gives me chills every single time I bloody read it.

I think what I love the most about this book is that we're really allowed to see clearly what JKR was trying to do with these books. We're shown the battle between good and evil (for example, Priori Incantatum). Down to the very little things, such as Crouch's love for his wife, and Harry's inability to let those around him come to possible harm (Gabrielle, for instance). There are just so many things in The Goblet of Fire that makes me feel like I'm reading it for the first time once more.

What stood out the clearest to me this time around, was the moment when Dumbledore asked Snape if "he was ready"; to do what they had talked about. GOD. I just love Snape. I love that the journey that I took with him was probably the most personal and rereading the series, these moments now stand out in startlingly clear ways. It's not easy to convince myself that they're just characters in a book because for me, so many of them are thought of as friends for me--I walked with them through everything. Snape just feels the most personal of all the relationships I'd forged in reading this series.

Okay, so yeah. More things I love about this series. There you go. Just...for the love of Merlin, if you haven't read the books, just do it. Your life will be changed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Quotes Melissa Liked

J.K. Rowling
“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

J.K. Rowling
“It is a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up.”

J.K. Rowling
“Percy wouldn't notice a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing one of Dobby's hats.”

J.K. Rowling
“Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.”

J.K. Rowling
“Dudley had reached roughly the size and weight of a young killer whale.”

J.K. Rowling
“He knew one thing only, and it was beyond fear or reason: He was not going to die crouching here like a child playing hide-and-seek; he was not going to die kneeling at Voldemort’s feet . . . he was going to die upright like his father, and he was going to die trying to defend himself, even if no defense was possible. . . .”

August 1, 2011 – Shelved