Michelle's Reviews > Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise

Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

Apr 02, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoirs

I read "Tender at the Bone" several years ago and truly enjoyed it--it was slightly disturbing yet funny as hell.

But, I have to admit, I enjoyed Garlic & Sapphires more. It's difficult to compare them. Though the subject matter is Ruth Reichl and her life, G&S is more of a nod to her life as the NYT Food Critic than a memoir of her childhood and her introduction to loving food.

I loved the abandon with which she changed characters and how each and everyone affected who she was at the core--or maybe more correctly, each character she played was just a realization upon the fact that each was merely a facet of the whole of her personality.

And the food reviews....oh my guinness, dark and stout. Every sentence was like a vision of dancing food in front of my eyes. There were moments when I could almost taste the food or feel its texture on my tongue.

But, the best thing I got out of this book. The reminder to savor...instead of sitting down and eating something just for the filling nutrients, why not think about the elements of that food, even a food as simple as roast chicken or spaghetti carbonara. Food should be enjoyed and honored and the best way to do that is with your palate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garlic and Sapphires.