Emily Selleck's Reviews > The Girl Who Drank the Moon

The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill

bookshelves: audio, digital, fantasy

I can't believe I haven't already written a review of this book. It was so beautifully done, full of childish wonder and adorable creatures, while at the same time showing just how terrible the world can truly be. I loved the underlying themes of curiosity and the power of knowledge, encouraging you to question the world around you, not in a negative way, but just to understand how things work and why things are the way they are rather than accepting them blindly. I also loved how there were several moments in which the heroes of the story, the characters we are meant to look up to and trust, made mistakes in the name of maintaining the peace and order of their lives. Facing the truth is hard, but necessary, and making the choice to sweep things under the rug or pretend that they aren't happening isn't helping anyone. It will always come back around.
On the surface, the book is just a great read, full of humor and fantastical whimsy with plenty of surprising twists and turns. At no point was I ever bored or thinking about moving on to something else. I highly recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Drank the Moon.

March 2, 2017 – Started Reading
March 2, 2017 – Shelved
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: audio
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: digital
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 2, 2017 –
7.0% "This is too cute already :)"
March 3, 2017 –