Amanda Tero's Reviews > The Dressmaker's Secret

The Dressmaker's Secret by Kellyn Roth

liked it

** spoiler alert ** While this was written mostly from an 8-10 year old's perspective (POV hopped to a few different characters), I would not say that this is a children's book, due to content (more on that later).

I really liked Alice. She was probably too smart for her age, but I did enjoy her wit and deduction skills. She was very human, struggling and gaining victory. Ivy was also a sweet character. I never fully understood Miss Chattoway, but then, I don't think she understood herself; in that way, I found her character compelling.

I'm giving this book 2.5 stars based on my preference. For me, the story was a bit scandalous. I'm not one for spoilers, but for the sake of some of my review followers, I'll give it. Miss Chattoway was indeed married, but the marriage was annulled by her father and her husband ended up married to someone else. This whole thread, it's complexity, and "resolution," I found it a little uncomfortable and disturbing. If it were not for this, I wouldn't have a problem giving a higher rating. It just didn't set well with me.

Overall, though, this young author shows great potential! I was captivated with the story and found several of the characters very likable.

*I received this ebook from the author and happily gave my honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dressmaker's Secret.

March 1, 2017 – Shelved