Colleen's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Aug 01, 2011

liked it
Read from August 01 to 25, 2011

My less-than-awed response to this trilogy continues on. I still don't understand what all the fuss is about. Larsson again cranks up the suspense with The Girl Who Played with Fire. He is very good at creating a rising sense of dread within his readers. We see what seem to be unrelated events marching onward, knowing that at some point they will converge with combustible results. And I still like how Lisbeth Salender gets her revenge on everyone who really pisses her off. And there was a good twist at the end that I did not see coming. But...I have lots of issues with this book, as I did with the previous one. The awkward writing continues. Especially irritating are the instructional passages where Larsson attempts to teach us something (the history of Grenada...how odd) and his need to continually repeat things that we've already read. It's like he thinks we're a bunch of children who need to be taught. I find that condescending. Oftentimes this story seems like one big male fantasy--breast implants (wouldn't Lisbeth Salender be above that?), lesbian sex, dominatrices. And once again we must suspend our disbelief when unlikely events "need" to occur in order to further the plot. That seems to me like laziness on the author's part. I don't know--maybe this just isn't my kind of book. I'll read the third book, though, just so I can say I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.