Margitte's Reviews > The Bones of Paradise

The Bones of Paradise by Jonis Agee

The Bones Of Time is a tale of two women during the aftermath of the Massacre of Wounded Knee in Pine Ridge, South Dakota, in 1890, in which more or less 200 Indian people were shot by the 7th Cavalry of the US Army.

In the Sand Hills of JB Bennett's farm, a murdered Indian girl, named Star, is found dead, by JB, and upon investigation he gets shot as well. And so does Graver, who arrived upon the scene. But Graver survived.

In a slow moving story, spanning over historical fiction, murder mystery, western and family saga, a drama unfolds in which lawlessness, vengeance, greed, savage violence, survival in an uncompromising natural world, and stubbornness rule. A ruthless land deal dictated the family's destiny and was ripped apart with JB's passing.

The two women, Dulcinea, the estranged wife of JB, and her best friend, Rose, a native American women from the Lakota tribe, set out to find the killer amidst dangerous circumstances for both. Dulcinea's two young sons, Cullen and Hayward, will pay the ultimate price. JB's father, Drum Bennet, with a notorious history buried in darkness, ensured that the land would forever remain in the hands of his family and nothing stood in his way to accomplish his dreams.

Jonis Agee's first book, The River Wife, was one of the best books I've ever read. In fact, it is one of the books I give to my friends to read all the time. Like this book, The Bones Of Time is packed with pathos, encapsulated in atmosphere and scenic splendor. An incredibly gripping tale winds through the history of the South Dakota landscape, where nobody could escape their own role in the writing of this family's story of hardship and hope.

Overall a wonderful, deeply moving story in the literary fiction genre.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bones of Paradise.

Started Reading
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: suspense
March 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 5, 2017 – Shelved as: literary-novel

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ High praise indeed! :)

Margitte Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "High praise indeed! :)"

great to see you, Carol. Thanks for the comment.

Angela M Margitte, great review.

Marita Nice review, Margitte. I see that you mention The River Wife. I have it downloaded, and plan to read it before long.

Margitte Marita wrote: "Nice review, Margitte. I see that you mention The River Wife. I have it downloaded, and plan to read it before long."

Great choice, Marita. Hope you enjoy it!

Margitte Angela M wrote: "Margitte, great review."

Thanks, Angela :-)