Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Bone Witch

The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

did not like it
bookshelves: from-publisher-or-author, fantasy, young-adult-fiction, arc
Read 2 times. Last read May 9, 2019 to May 10, 2019.

Second attempt: DNF at 34%

I tried. I really did. But, alas, it didn't happen for me. The issues that I had the first time around stayed, tbh. The world was there, but without any explanation it left me lost. Perhaps that's because the glossary was nowhere to be seen (or, it was at the back of the book which didn't help me). Perhaps it's because it didn't play that much of a role.

The characters also didn't stand out. I can't tell you that much about them, tbh, after reading a third of the book. I simply couldn't pick them out and with everything being thrown at me, I was just trying to nail down what certain things meant.

After this revisit, I can honestly say that I won't give it a third try.

First attempt: DNF at 16%

This book has beautiful writing, but that's about all. Which is a shame since I really enjoyed Rin Chupeco's other series, The Girl from the Well. However, the strong and interesting characters she had in that, just didn't show through here.

I didn't know the main character's name for about 5%. I still don't know the world. I'm not sure what half the words used actually meant. Like, a heartglass. Why? And a hua. Still have no clue what that is. I'm sure that given more time, the characters would have developed. I loved the tone of the book, the feeling it gave me. But, when a book is all prose and no substance, it simply won't work for me. Characters felt almost non-existent and there was no plot to speak of, just a meandering bunch of words that sort of took me somewhere. No tension. No interest.

It's a damn shame because this seems like it could be a hit book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Witch.

March 1, 2017 – Started Reading
March 1, 2017 – Shelved
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: from-publisher-or-author
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult-fiction
March 2, 2017 –
9.0% "I'm not sure if I like this so far. I don't have a good grasp of the characters and there's more random information than pertinent information. Such as plot or characters. What's going on and who are these people? Those are important questions yet I don't feel that I could properly answer them."
March 3, 2017 –
15.0% "1. Fucking love triangle. Maybe.
2. If Tea starts getting all doughy over a guy, I'm done.
3. With all the prose, why hasn't a heartglass been explained?

I'm giving this 5% more or I'm done."
March 3, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
March 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 19, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
May 9, 2019 – Started Reading
May 9, 2019 –
7.0% "I'm liking this a lot better on this retry, but I totally forgot about her brother."
May 9, 2019 –
28.0% "This isn't holding my attention that much. Sadly."
May 10, 2019 –
34.0% "Yep, I couldn't do it. DNFing here."
May 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by P (new)

P Sorry it was a bust, Caidyn.

Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) I'm sorry, too, but I'm sure that other people will like it where I didn't!