Jody 's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

bookshelves: favorites, grim-dark, malazan

This was a buddy read with the gang at BB&B.

Gardens of the Moon is the first book in Steven Erikson's epic Malazan book of the Fallen series. The word epic may be overused when describing some books, but that is not the case here. Erikson has created one of the most vast world's I have ever read. The amount of characters, magic system, history, plots and subplots is on a level of its own. My advice when reading this is just go with the flow of the book. If you try to remember every detail it can be overwhelming. I say this not to dissuade you. Just to prepare you for the immense awesomeness of this book.

Erikson wastes no time dropping you into the action from the first page. The Malazan army has layed seige to the Genabackis city of Pale, but the empress has her sights set on a bigger goal. The city of Darujhistan. This is where most of the events of this book take place, and everyone from gods, mortals, mages, and Ascendants want to get involved.

"If ever there was a dire convergence of great forces, it was now, and in this place. The gods were descending to the mortal soil to do battle, shapings were being forged of flesh and bone, and the blood of sorcery now boiled with madness born of inevitable momentum."

As I said before the amount of characters in this book is huge, but it really wasn't as hard to keep up with everyone as I thought it would be.
Erikson does a good job grouping the characters and giving most of them unusual names that are hard to forget. Names like Whiskeyjack, Quick Ben, and Kruppe.

Erikson's ability to shape multilayered characters is genius. There are so many different personalities in this book. From the weird and crazy narrative of Kruppe to the powerful and mysterious Anomander Rake and everyone in between. I have my favorites, but they all stand out at some point in the story.

The book is broken down into 7 sections, also called books. Each book is proceeding the last, so there is no missed time in between. The first few books are mostly sectioned with different sets of characters. This helps in getting used to all of them when they converge later in the story.

There are many different powers at work throughout the book, and some of the gods and Ascendants like to be right in the middle of the action. In most stories you have two sides, good and bad. That is not the case here. Almost everyone has their own agenda, and will do what they need to survive, or influence someone to accomplish their goal.

"What I did was merciful. I used her, yes, but she knew it not. Can the same be said for you? Tell me, is knowing your being used better than not knowing?"

Needless to say I loved almost every aspect of this book. It really is a beautiful read. Not just the action and immense story line, but the writing itself is amazing. I have more Erikson quotes written down in one book than I do in the last 10 books all together. That being said, I will list a couple more of my favorites before closing.

"I'd hate to think," Kalam said, from the bed, "that evil was real, that it existed with a face as plain as the next man's."

"Do you blame the knife, or the hand wielding it?"

My only regret is that I haven't read these books sooner. I strongly urge everyone to give this series a try. You never know when you may just pick up your next favorite book that has been there all along. Just waiting on you!

5 stars *****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.

March 1, 2017 – Started Reading
March 1, 2017 – Shelved
March 2, 2017 –
page 103
15.47% "Whiskeyjack, Tattersail, Quick Ben. Loving these names!

Now if I can just keep up with the other 20 characters mentioned so far."
March 4, 2017 –
page 247
37.09% ""Play on, mortal. Every God falls at mortals hands. Such is the only end to mortality."

I have the feeling this book is going to make me re-evaluate my rating system."
March 5, 2017 –
page 320
48.05% ""No matter how benign the original rulers, no matter how generous the nobility, the word of Empire, weighted by might, twisted the past into a tyranny of demons. A sad comment on humanity, a bitter lesson made foul by her own role in it."

Erikson's way to shape a word, or sentence, or paragraph is astonishing."
March 6, 2017 –
page 407
61.11% ""I am saddened," Pran said, "that I may not return in twenty years to see the women this child shall become. "
"You shall," K'rul said in a low tone, "but not as a T'lan. As a T'lan Imass Bonecaster."
The breath hissed between Pran's teeth. "How long?" He asked.
"Three hundred thousand years, Pran Chole of Cannig Tol's Clan."

Damn! Talk about some time to think things over."
March 8, 2017 –
page 509
76.43% ""Some things went beyond a single man's life, and maybe justice existed outside the minds of humanity, beyond even the hungry eyes of gods and goddesses, a thing shining and pure and final.""
March 9, 2017 –
page 617
92.64% ""Rallick stepped back, weapons once again hidden beneath his cloak. "A thousand other deaths," he whispered, so low that only Baruk and Rake heard him, "would not have satisfied me. But I'll settle for this one."

Oh! Rallick just had a drop the mic moment."
March 10, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
March 10, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: grim-dark
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: malazan

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Holden Johnson Can't wait for it Jody! Hopefully you warn me of spoilers beforehand!

Jody There will be no spoilers in my review that are not marked. I can promise you that Holden. :)

James Tivendale Glad you loved it bro! When you starting Deadhouse Gates? x

Jody Thanks James! I'm waiting on Holden to finish GotM and we are going to buddy read Deadhouse. Needless to say, I am going to be hassling him for the next few days. :)

James Tivendale Prepare to cry your heart out in book two and three. If you make it to book four, you are a cold hearted bastard, but it will be worth it lol x

Jody James wrote: "Prepare to cry your heart out in book two and three. If you make it to book four, you are a cold hearted bastard, but it will be worth it lol x"

I already have books three and four on the way from Amazon. They should be here tomorrow. If I make it through those we need to start a new reading group "The Cold Hearted Bastards of Malazan." :D

message 7: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Looking forward to reading your review. :)

James Tivendale TS wrote: "Looking forward to reading your review. :)"

I am sure TS will agree with me here Jody, that after book one, every book is excellent. There are no weak links at all - 2-3-5-7- were my favourites - but all were excellent x

Jody Craig wrote: "Well done Jody!! The first, hardest step has been taken and from the look of all them stars, enjoyed!! Look forward to your rhoughts :)"

Thanks Craig! Yeah, this one went automatically to my favorites list. I have to say Erikson looks like he may be making my favorite author list very soon. :)

Jody James wrote: "TS wrote: "Looking forward to reading your review. :)"

Thanks for the info James! I cant believe how huge this world is. From what i can gather like 24 books between Erikson and ICE. And still counting! I love it! :)

message 11: by Ivan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ivan Yay another one joins the Malazan cult :). I found first book to be th weakest one so journey only gets better.

Jody Ivan wrote: "Yay another one joins the Malazan cult :). I found first book to be th weakest one so journey only gets better."

Definitely part of the Malazan cult now Ivan. Looking forward to all the books to come. :)

Jody Craig wrote: "Oh you shall have fun with this series, guaranteed!! Oh nice new pic too!! :)"

Thanks Craig! Had to get one posted with my baby girl. She is the next big reader in the family. :)

Lady Luna. ✨ Great review !

Jody Thanks Craig! Can't wait to start Deadhouse.

Jody ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review !"

Thank you Sarah! How are you liking it so far?

Holden Johnson Awesome review my friend! Im going to power through it :)

Lady Luna. ✨ I LOVE IT !!!! RAKE <3 I'm so glad u gave it five stars, I think I will be too. I've nothing read anything like this in my whole entire life

Jody Holden wrote: "Awesome review my friend! Im going to power through it :)"

Thanks Holden! Enjoy it! No need to hurry! I have plenty to tide me over until your ready to start Deadhouse.

Jody ☽Luna☾ wrote: "I LOVE IT !!!! RAKE <3 I'm so glad u gave it five stars, I think I will be too. I've nothing read anything like this in my whole entire life"

So, you finally meet Rake. :))) He is my favorite in this book. I know how you feel. This book is on another level from everything else I have ever read.

Samir Great review Jody! I'm so glad the magic of Malazan is working on you :) Deadhouse Gates is even better!

Jody Samir wrote: "Great review Jody! I'm so glad the magic of Malazan is working on you :) Deadhouse Gates is even better!"

Thank you Samir! I am hooked for sure. Got Memories of Ice and House of Chains today, so I am fully committed. :)

message 23: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Great review, Jody! Glad to have you along for the rest of the journey.

Jody TS wrote: "Great review, Jody! Glad to have you along for the rest of the journey."

Thank you TS!

Orient Great review, Jody :))))) Congrants with joining our flock of Malazan addicts ;) Lol, and hope that this book will spoil your every read from now on as it did to all of us :D Btw, lovely new profile pic with the cutest princess ever ;)

Jody Orient wrote: "Great review, Jody :))))) Congrants with joining our flock of Malazan addicts ;) Lol, and hope that this book will spoil your every read from now on as it did to all of us :D Btw, lovely new profil..."

Orient Jody wrote: "Thank you Orient! I believe this book and series will change my view all all fantasy books moving forward. And yes she is definitely a little princess. :D She is currently reading Beauty and the Beast, and will not let me read it with her. She is determined to do it on her own. Proud and sad at the same time. :-{"

So up to book two? :) Some of us needed a break after GotM, it was overwhelming! Aww, that's cute :) Well, you're lucky that she likes reading ;) Lol, my thirteen years old son lost his reader's addiction some two or three years ago and is contaminated with basketball *sighs* I can lure him once a year for some short reading adventure :S So, I envy you ;)

Jody Well!! I'm not taking a break. I have a buddy read planned with Holden when he finishes GotM. I am just going to keep the momentum going. :) I hope she sticks with it . My grandpa and mom are readers, so it definitely is a family trait. :D

Jody Craig wrote: "Haha, breaks between Malazan?? Hahahahahaha. Seriously though, i was the same, breaks between books but the time span grew shorter each time, when i finished book 6 i maybe waited 6 hours before st..."

I can't say I won't take a small break after a few books. Only because I have a couple of series I need to finish up, but I do agree with you Craig. There is no way I can take a break after GotM. I need more Malazan!!! :)

Orient Craig wrote: "Haha, breaks between Malazan?? Hahahahahaha. Seriously though, i was the same, breaks between books but the time span grew shorter each time, when i finished book 6 i maybe waited 6 hours before starting book 7 haha :)"

Lol, you have a serious addiction :D

Stefan Bach Awesome review, Jody! :D

Jody Stefan wrote: "Awesome review, Jody! :D"

Thank you Stefan! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 33: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Great review, Jody!

Jody Crumb wrote: "Great review, Jody!"

Thank you! 😁