Lauren's Reviews > The Wives of Bath: A Novel

The Wives of Bath by Wendy  Holden

F 50x66
Apr 02, 2008

liked it

I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did. I almost put it down after the first few chapters because some of the characters were SO unlikeable and one dimensional it was unbearable. Luckily, in the second half of the book, those horrible characters play a small role and Alice and Hugo become more rounded out and seem more believable. The main flaw of this book is that the characters - particularly Amanda and Jake - are caricatures. It is hard to believe that anyone behaves like they do (at least I hope not). Alice and Jake's relationship is also unbeleivable, particularly since Alice had started off as a well groomed lawyer in New York. It is hard to picture her with a guy like Jake, who is nasty, controlling, and has horrendous hygeine. If she was a successful lawyer before her pregnancy and marriage, it seems unlikely that she was such a naive pushover. Amanda and Hugo's relationship is more believable - even though Amanda is a nasty person, Hugo doesn't start off so great either.

Overall, the story line becomes predictable in the second half. However, as the characters become more likeable the predictability is easily forgiven. In the end, I enjoyed the story and I was not sure I would even finish it based on the first third of the book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wives of Bath.