James's Reviews > Fixing to Die

Fixing to Die by Miranda James

bookshelves: 2-fic-cozy-mystery, 1-fiction, 3-multi-book-series, 9-read-2018-10-october

What's not to love about two elderly spinster sisters who are more spry than many fifty-year-olds I know? Between the amazing southern charm, the ghost-hunting, the family drama over an inheritance, and a potentially new line of relatives, the fourth saga in the Southern Ladies Mystery series by Miranda James, Fixing to Die, has it all. Kudos to this fantastic series and author... 4.5 stars for this latest edition published in 2017. I'm sad to say I'm all caught up on this series, and the author has put it on hold per the publisher for a few years (2020?) to focus on another series about a Cat in the Stacks... I've finished 2 of 8 in that series but will pick up the rest this fall and winter. I'm very excited for both.

So... 'Fixing to' anything is quite an expression. My family in Louisiana uses it all the time. I try to, but I fail given I can't really claim southern roots just because I was born in Florida. Miranda James does not have to worry or extrapolate - it's right on! These characters are fixing to do a lot of things that likely lead to murder. In this mystery, the Ducote sisters travel to Natchez to help the granddaughter of a friend who's having some trouble in her bed and breakfast with objects moving around and mysterious temperature changes. Is there a ghost or a human causing all this drama? When her relatives show up trying to claim ownership over the house due to a long-lost will, it gets quite complicated. But then... a psychic randomly appears claiming the house is haunted. What do they all have to do with one another?

Miranda James excels at ambiance and captivating settings. The characters are also quite good, but in this one, it's the ghost aspects that really pop. I really knew it was a human, as the series isn't about ghosts, but there were quite a few characters who looked guilty. A major clue / red herring was thrown out about 50% thru and I thought for a moment, hmm... what's going on here, why was this so easy. Well, I won't give away any spoilers but there's more going on across a few levels. It gets quite interesting and the pay-off in the end makes it worth it.

The addition of Benjy has been a fantastic story line. And the pets have such personality. It's carefully woven into the story without any over-the-top aspects. A fine balance where it's the story and the characters who keep drawing you back for more fun in this easy-to-picture world. I'm impressed by the variety in James' world and look forward to reading more soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing to Die.

March 1, 2017 – Shelved
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 1, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-cozy-mystery
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 3-multi-book-series
September 30, 2018 – Started Reading
September 30, 2018 –
page 87
28.62% "A haunted mansion. Already giving me the chills and thrills. :)"
October 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-10-october
October 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Bridget Vollmer Love this series. Hoping there’s a fifth one in the works

James Bridget wrote: "Love this series. Hoping there’s a fifth one in the works" I agree. When I last spoke with the author via FB, it was on hold until a few more Cat in the Stacks books came out, but a 5th in this series was planned for 2020-2021!

Bridget Vollmer Good to know!

James :)

message 5: by Tari (new) - added it

Tari I've only read the first, but I'm SO glad to hear Benjy is still around. He's an awesome character!

James Yes! He was prominent in these last two.