Megan Palasik's Reviews > State of Wonder

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Jul 31, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, bookclub

My book club decided to read this book, and I have to admit I wasn't too excited about it at first. This is not a book I would have picked up on my own from reading the synopsis.

When I first started reading it I didn't like Patchett's writing style at all. I became very confused with who the characters were within the first 10 pages and at one point she was talking about a male character and suddenly began referring to "she" (a female character who had not even been introduced) and I thought I was mistaken about the sex of the characters all along and started the book over to figure it out. Also, Patchett seems to enjoy writing long winded descriptions/happenings in overly long run-on sentences. About a third of the way through the book, I became so distracted by one of these run-on sentences I noted that this particular one used approximately 225 words, 10 commas, 4 semi-colons, and 2 colons! Now, grammatically correct or not, that is distracting and unnecessary.

Writing style aside, the book was pretty good. I didn't expect all of the pieces and parts that unfolded and didn't quite expect the events that transpired in the end. The ending was...okay.

This story is about the Amazon. Dr. Swenson has disappeared into the Amazon on the pretense that she is developing a drug which will allow women to conceive children late into life. One man, Eckman, has already been sent down to Brazil to touch base with Dr. Swenson about the progress of this drug since she does not e-mail, phone, or even write to the company which has been paying her to live down there for years. However, Eckman has died while down in Brazil. So, the company decides to send Dr. Marina Singh to try again. Dr. Singh has a bit of a history with Dr. Swenson, but none of that can prepare Dr. Singh for her time in the Amazon...the weather, the people, and the bugs.

The story was good and kept my interest for the most part. It leaves me teetering on the fence as to whether I will read another Patchett book again; good story, distracting writing style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read State of Wonder.

July 31, 2011 – Started Reading