Carol's Reviews > Einstein's Beach House

Einstein's Beach House by Jacob M. Appel

bookshelves: humor, published-2014, short-stories, 100, read-2019, dark

4+++ Stars.

Jacob Appel was kind enough to gift me a copy of EINSTEIN'S BEACH HOUSE last year, and I must apologize for my tardiness in reading and reviewing until now.

After my shock of finding it with the little gift note in my stack of read-next books, my plan was to read the first couple of stories, do some much needed chores and go back to it later in the day, but that didn't work out so well. I could not put this eight story collection down. And oh how I love the look and feel of the book. It's almost like velvet....so cool.

Anyway, this diverse group of shorts are all good and has something for everyone besides the addictive writing.

My top four favorites include the first tale Hue and Cry, a sad one, but so much substance and feeling in such a short story. La Tristesse Des Herissons about hedgehog adoption woes cracked me up, Einstein's Beach House, makes you wonder who really owns a property when fake tours turn nightmarish for a family, and my top pick, The Rod of Ascieplus is dark and sad and horrible for a man and his six year old daughter with OMGOSH an unforgettable ending. As a matter of fact, each one of these stories seems to have a memorable ending.

EINSTEIN'S BEACH HOUSE. Wonderful stories.

(reviewed without bias in receiving a complimentary copy.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Einstein's Beach House.

February 28, 2017 – Shelved
July 24, 2019 –
page 155
July 27, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
July 28, 2019 – Shelved as: dark

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Zoeytron Appel's short stories always offer something a little different. I thought this collection was particularly good. Good review, Carol!

Carol Zoeytron wrote: "Appel's short stories always offer something a little different. I thought this collection was particularly good. Good review, Carol!"

Glad you enjoyed it too Zoey! Thank you!

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Great review Carol! Jacob sent me a copy also.. I must start it!

Carol Karen wrote: "Great review Carol! Jacob sent me a copy also.. I must start it!"

Thank you Karen! Stories are so good; it moves right along. Hope you enjoy too!!! 😊

message 5: by C. (new)

C. Hoorah for the joy of physical books!

Carol C. wrote: "Hoorah for the joy of physical books!"

Oh yeah........love admiring my displayed books every day!

message 7: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic review, Carol.

Carol Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Carol."

Thank you Angela! 😊