Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

bookshelves: year-2017, audiobook, 5-star

***Special congrats to Angie Thomas for wiping the floor with her competition in the GR Choice Awards 2017!***

16-year-old Starr Carter's life unravels when she becomes sole witness to the brutal murder of her childhood friend, Khalil Harris. Khalil was an unarmed black boy gunned down by a white police officer.

At its core this is a story we've all heard before. It's a story we're seeing an alarming amount of the time on the news these days. It's a story that is powerful & tragic & relevant.

What I enjoyed most about this book was its honest portrayal of modern issues among black communities, and how largely unaware we who are outside of those communities can be.

There are a lot of hot topic ideas presented here.

~How both drug and prison industries are designed to keep minorities in a revolving door of failure.

~How the media unabashedly contaminates our ideas about reality.

~How the people paid to protect us don't always consider all of us worth protecting.

~How racism is intentional at times. How racism is unintentional at times. How racism is destructive all of the time.

~How death isn't something we think about until it affects someone we know personally.

"Her words used to have power. If she said it was fine, it was fine. But after you've held two people as they took their last breaths, words like that don't mean shit anymore."

I think this book has all the elements necessary to make a resounding point; a compelling narrative, believable characters, excellent writing, and an insightful voice can all be found here. This is quite an accomplishment for a debut author, especially given the content she chose to tackle.

It addresses those ugly manifestations of hatred, but it also shines a light on the hope we must have for the future.

My own personal fear is that those of us who desperately need to read a story like this will not be the ones racing to pick it up. Nonetheless, it's a story that must be told now and preserved for later.

Buddy read this with my bby Tweebie!

This and other reviews of mine can be found on Book Nest!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hate U Give.

February 28, 2017 – Shelved
February 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 25, 2017 – Started Reading
March 27, 2017 –
20.0% "We both know one thing. This is gonna be some bullshit."
March 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2017
April 2, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
May 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister I'm looking forward to this one - Hope you enjoy! xo

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Kristin!! I'm enjoying it a lot so far! <3

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Yaaaaaassssssssss !!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ *confetti everywhere* !!!

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) *brings icecap and dances in confetti*

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ ICECAPP YESSSS

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) #team-trash-4-ice cap but seriously, I want one. NOW ;p

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I'm 100% getting one later now thnx Tweebie lol :P

alyssa Enjoy, ladies! Can't wait to hear what you think! xo

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Alyssa! :D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you love it! Happy reading! XD

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you so much Solomon I hope so too! :D

madalyn ( polaroid books ) Can't wait to read this book soon! Enjoy! c:

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Maddie I hope you enjoy it as well! :)

message 15: by Sana (last edited Mar 27, 2017 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana i love your review Mary. <33 I'm getting this soon and can't wait to read it!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Why thank you my love! <33 I hope that you love it as much as I did when you pick it up!

message 17: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Wow. That's a powerful review you've written, love. Great job.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you so much Celeste! It's a great read! <3

message 19: by emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

emma Amazing review! Hoping to pick this up soon, everything I've heard about it sounds promising

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh thank you Emma! I hope you will like it I think it's a very good read especially these days!

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) *blinks*

MARY MOO WHAT THE HECK

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Obviously you don't know the meaning of "chill" ahahah well I'm not even close to finishing. Give me a day girl :)

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) Fantastic review, Mary! I need to get my hands on this!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Lol Tweeeebbbbbiiiiieeeeee you're right I have zero chill but I also was like... 1/4 of the way done with this when we decided to read it together HOWEVER I am here for discussion as always :') I hope you love it!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Kaylin thank you chickadee! It's a good one I hope you love it when you read it! :D

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Lol Tweeeebbbbbiiiiieeeeee you're right I have zero chill but I also was like... 1/4 of the way done with this when we decided to read it together HOWEVER I am here for discussion as always :') I h..."

Ok ok that's true but STILL *sniffle* You better prepare a discussion because there's no way I'm fangirling alone.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahaha I know I was like SHIT when I finished it I didn't even realize I was that close to the end! *hugs* I'm always here for fangirling <3

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Hahaha I know I was like SHIT when I finished it I didn't even realize I was that close to the end! *hugs* I'm always here for fangirling <3"

I can't even blame you like this book is addicting af.

Yay like I'm probably gonna be done by tmrw SO JUST YOU WAITTTT

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ YAY CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG! :D

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

This is like the first 5 star ive seen you give in a LOONG TIME

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha right Solomon!? I don't give them out very often but this is a really great book & I think it's so appropriate right now! I couldn't find a problem with it!

message 32: by Petrik (new)

Petrik wuaw! The last 5 star I saw you gave was probably Bands of Mourning last month! great review dear, glad to see you enjoy this one :)

message 33: by Prabh⚔ (new) - added it

Prabh⚔ AHH great review Mary! I cannot wait to read this one :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Haha thank you Petrik! It's a hard book to "enjoy" because the subject matter is so sad but it's definitely a poignant read & one I hope to see many others pick up! :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you Prabhleen!! I hope you like it too girly!! :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister *Whew*, what a powerful review, Mary! So well-said. Another important book I must get to soon <3

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh Kristin you're always such a sweetheart! *hugs* I hope you'll love this one! <3

message 38: by Haïfa (new) - added it

Haïfa Fantastic review love !!!!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh thank you so much Haifa!! <33

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell What a lovely, eloquent review Mary. You summed up my feelings about the book so perfectly. Love your hot topic ideas section, especially. <3

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh Nenia thank you so much! You're always so sweet to me! :) <3

Melanie Amazing review! I'm so happy you loved this. I haven't been this moved by a book.... maybe ever? Like, can we just make this required reading already? 💖xx

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh Melanie thank you!! This book was great & a debut nonetheless! I agree I could definitely see reading this in schools! 😘💕

ankereads Love your review! This book is amazing and I talk everyone I know into reading this book 😅

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thank you so much my dear!! I know I'm always pushing this book on people too hahaha!

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for October. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you The goodreads choice awards are a fraud, the way that Goodreads editors ignored all the people who shelved Maas books as Romance and fantasy speaks of corruption. They supposdly take into account the shelving and the reviews to choose nominates but they are streching the rules to ensure that Maas is never competing against JK Rowling. I love The hate U give but I wish it had won a more worthy prize.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ I'm not very happy with a handful of the winners either, V. But considering THUG is a book worthy of being praised, I certainly won't complain about the boost in readership the award is likely to garner.

message 49: by stardragons (new)

stardragons I'm glad this one won a Goodreads award, though I still need to read it, BUT I've heard nothing but amazing things. Definitely deserves all the positive attention it gets!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Stardragons I couldn't agree more! It's an excellent book I super enjoyed it & I'm very glad to see it getting so much attention especially given how relevant the issues here are!

« previous 1