Linda's Reviews > What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Read 2 times. Last read May 21, 2017 to June 10, 2017.

I put "What Alice Forgot" on hold so many times that I felt like a receptionist at a medical center. It's so unfair to do this to a book, but I'll blame life, because it just happens. I was also a bit hesitant reading my second novel by Liane Moriarty. I had loved "The Husband's Secret," and sometimes it's difficult for an author to write another equally successful novel. Thanks to this author, Alice was always amazingly fresh in my mind, every time I would start reading again. There are not a lot of books that could have survived all the interruptions this one had.

After Alice suffers amnesia from a gym accident, she awakens as the woman she was mentally ten years earlier; in an older, "younger-looking" body; to a foreign lifestyle; and surrounded by many friends she doesn't even know. If that isn't difficult enough to have to struggle with, she has three children who were born during those lost years, and she finds out she is divorcing the husband she adores.

All the other characters in this novel contributed greatly to the storyline. Each one was so unique and endearing, with their own lives closely woven into Alice's. Moriarty had me cheering for them, also.

I thought the concept of losing the last ten years of your life made a very fascinating storyline. Going through the journey with Alice trying to right the mistakes and accept the realities was filled with heartache, frustration, suspense, surprises, and plenty of laughter.

Highly recommend to those who want an entertaining book with likable characters.

Looks like I found a new, dependable author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Alice Forgot.

February 28, 2017 – Shelved
June 10, 2017 –
page 410
June 10, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Oh I hope you're loving this Linda!! I went into this one with no expectations and found I really loved it! I remember laughing to myself a lot while reading this. Hope it gives you an enjoyable giggle too!! ;-)

Linda After the "last" book and having read my first Moriarty book, "The Husband's Secret," and giving that one five stars, I was just like you--no expectations! So far, I wish I hadn't started two books at once, because they are both good books. I am really liking this one. I may just finish the other book first, because it's a small, fast read, and then concentrate on WAF! I sure need some laughter right now! Yay!

message 3: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa S. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this, Linda! I own a copy but haven't read it yet. I hope you're loving it!

Linda Vanessa, I can't wait to write a review on this one, but I'm afraid I have to set it aside AGAIN and read another book with friends which has been planned for some time! I've actually enjoyed every page so far and it's a long book. Hint: get your copy out and read it! ;-)

Btw, you are the only one I know who owns more books than I that have not been read! Hahaha I love your list of "owned-but not read" books. Super idea--wish I'd done that, when I first joined GR.

message 5: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa S. Linda wrote: "Vanessa, I can't wait to write a review on this one, but I'm afraid I have to set it aside AGAIN and read another book with friends which has been planned for some time! I've actually enjoyed every..."

Oh, no! Well you'll get a chance to finish it sometime and at least you'll be reading some great books in the meantime! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Wow, am I really? I can't say I'm too surprised but I'm not sure that's a good thing...I have a real problem on my hands! ;) Thanks! I'm glad I thought to make that list, it's been really helpful. It's never too late for you to make a similar list for yourself, just add the ones you own as you see/think of them.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Really looking forward to your thoughts on this one Linda! :-)

Linda I bet Lindsay could write a perfect review for exactly how I feel about this book. Hmmm? At least I think we'd feel pretty much the same way. :-D

message 8: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Count me in on those eagerly awaiting your thoughts on this one, Linda. Loved your reply to Lindsay, btw.

Linda Cheri, I'm sure Lindsay would have written this review long before now!! Hahaha! Hey, friend, thanks for the interest. ;-)

message 10: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill McGill Excellent review, Linda! I'm adding this to my list! 😀

Karen Great review Linda, you liked it more then me though 😊

message 12: by Aura (new) - added it

Aura I liked Husband's Secret as well Linda. I will have to give this one a try.

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie Haupt Great review, Linda! I often feel like a hospital receptionist with all the library holds, too :) Glad you enjoyed this one.

Linda Thank you, Jill! I'll be watching for that review. I hope you like it as much as I did. ;-)

Linda Thanks my sweet friend, Karen! I see that! I've got to check that out! Something is definitely wrong here! We usually have similar tastes. 😉💕

Linda Aura, I bet you'll like this storyline better, even though I loved both books! I do hope you read it. 🙂

Linda Thanks Angie! Hey, we should get paid for the stress we go through! 😋

Sharon Wonderful review Linda! This was my favorite of all of her books!

message 19: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn C. Terrific review, Linda! This sounds like a story I would enjoy - adding it. :)

message 20: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Great review, Linda. I loved this book!

Linda Thanks Sharon! I'm thinking the storyline would be difficult to beat, but I'll certainly read more books by the author. So happy you enjoyed it, also! 🙂

Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends Fantastic review, Sister! You have me laughing out loud. Where do you come up with this stuff? You are so funny. Glad you enjoyed this one. I did too. I have to read My Husband's secret soon.

Linda Oh, Marilyn, I think you'd really enjoy this. Happy to hear you're going to read this! I'll watch for your review! 🙂

Linda Thanks Dana! I'm happy to see you thought it was worthy of five stars, also! 🙂

Iryna *Book and Sword* I loved the review and the book :) Although I didn't think that characters were likable. Her kids were quite horrible at some moments

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderul review, Linda! I have this one here, too, but I haven't read it. Your review has me wanting to get to it though. Love seeing your five stars!

message 27: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Wonderful review Linda! I am looking forward to reading this one. I have read 2 others by this author and just loved them! She is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors!

message 28: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Nice review, Linda. I have too many that go on hold again and again. I enjoyed this one too though.

Linda Thanks, Sister Brenda!! Oh, I can hear you! I just can't see you! Where are you, anyway? I can't believe you found time to even comment. Hahaha! You were the favorite. The baby always is! ;-)

Linda Thank you, Iryna! That's so funny! I wasn't even thinking about the children. You are so right! ;-)

Linda Thanks, Jennifer! Oh, you'll really love this one! Gee, you don't want to break that chain we've got going, do you? ;-)

Linda Thank you, Kaceey! Others who have read all her books say this is her best! I just discovered her this year! I bought her latest and will save it for when I'm in a reading slump! I'll be watching for your review! :-)

Linda Thanks, Jen! So, you're a wannabe receptionist, too? It's kind of like having someone tap you on the shoulder all the time. ;-)

message 34: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Great review! I just started to read this author and I am enjoying her writing. I will have to read this one!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review Linda! This book seems like it has a little bit of everything. I read one by this author and really loved it. I need to try this one.

Suzanne She's a terrific author, Linda. You're lucky you've got lots more to look forward to! Sons of hers are my favourite books! Enjoy :))

Linda Thanks, Linda! If you enjoy her writing style, this is a must-read for you! I'll be watching for your review. I've got to check which one you did read. ;-)

Linda Thanks, Miss "Series Reader"! ;-) Mary, with your upbeat, positive personality, I think you'd really appreciate the humor this author injects into her writing.

Linda Suzanne, you are sooo right, and by the time I finish the ones she's already written, I'm sure there will be a new one published! ;-)

message 40: by Marjorie (new) - added it

Marjorie This is one of this author's books that I haven't gotten to either. Will have to see if I can make some time for it. It sounds quite interesting and I've enjoyed her other books. Thanks for the review, Linda! Glad you enjoyed it.

Linda Hi Marjorie. I've heard quite a few readers say this one was her best. I've only read two, but this is excellent. You're a "speedy reader," so I know you could squeeze this one in. ;-) (BTW, I visited your site and thought it was very nice--well designed!)

PS: I was at the bookstore today, and because of your review which I looked up, I purchased "The Little French Bistro." Looking forward to reading it.

message 42: by Marjorie (new) - added it

Marjorie Linda wrote: "Hi Marjorie. I've heard quite a few readers say this one was her best. I've only read two, but this is excellent. You're a "speedy reader," so I know you could squeeze this one in. ;-) (BTW, I visi..."

Enjoy your trip to France, Linda (via "The Little French Bistro")! Hope you have a great time. :)

Linda Hahaha! Merci beaucoup, Marjorie! I'll send you a postcard!

Linda Thanks, Karin. I'll be watching for that review, new friend!

Cindy Which book do I read first? You have me very interested now!

Linda That's right, Cindy. You didn't read either one! It really doesn't matter, except, knowing you, you have to like everyone...so, read "Alice" first, if you can put up with those little kids of hers!! Hahaha!

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sounds like I need to dust it off and give it a go! I don't know what I've been waiting for. Lol. Lovely review, Linda. ;)

Linda I think your housekeeper needs to do a better job with that feather duster! ;-) I have a feeling we might agree to agree on this one! Lol

message 49: by Christine (new)

Christine Linda, I love this review. I have been hesitant to read this one, but you make it sound highly attractive!

Victoria Ha! Alice holding on line 4...

I really enjoyed this one too and I was so struck by the thought of how would my younger self feel about how my life turned out. So happy you enjoyed it! I still have a couple of her books to read and I think they'll be nice summer picks.

« previous 1