Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > Butterfly on the Storm: Heartland Trilogy Book 1

Butterfly on the Storm by Walter Lucius

bookshelves: 2017, dnf

DNF @ 20%

I gave this until 20% to give this a bit of a chance before I decided to give it up (I wanted to give it up at 5%).

I'm disappointed to put this one down because I thought it could be a new series to get into... but no. This is not a badly written book and already the premise for the crime is pretty unique. But I have an issue with our main character, Farah, and the fact that this was already overly sexual for a police procedural type novel.

My issues with the main character are as follows:
- She is some sort of kung fu master, with an aggressive rage she can't control, but she's soft as anything really... Cliche.
- She is a model... Or rather she is described as a model lookalike. Why does she have to be so pretty? So she gets her way with everyone that she meets? Give me a break.
- She drives a fancy old "badass" car. Oh, she's soooo cool.
- She has the most expensive of clothing brands to wear and is sleeping with a movie director? It's time to stop.

As for the sexual bits, here's my issues:
- Farah just happens to walk into the blast from a fire engine? Results of this? Wet tshirt, and she's not wearing a bra. Lots of breast talk. Gross.
- Before the first 5% of the book is over we have a sex scene that's semi graphic. I'm no prude but it just didn't feel right.

So that's why I put this book down so early. I feel bad, it's a Netgalley book and I don't like DNFing a book given to me for the purposes of a review, but I wouldn't have been able to finish this one before publication date, or even within a week, probably.

Note: if you're into police procedurals you may very well like this book, this is just my personal preference for the kind of crime novels I like to read.

Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly on the Storm.

February 28, 2017 – Shelved
February 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 23, 2017 – Started Reading
March 23, 2017 –
2.0% "Started this morning... very weird opening scene to our mc"
March 23, 2017 –
5.0% "Oh dear, I'm already really not loving this and I'm only 5% through. Will give it until 20% before I make up my mind"
Finished Reading