Matt's Reviews > George's Marvellous Medicine

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl

bookshelves: audiobook, children-s
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze

Another Dahl classic that I have not read for many years. During a short binge read of the author's work, I thought that this would be perfect to warm my heart as I think back to my own childhood. George Kranky is a wonderful little boy, though he is saddled with one of the most cantankerous grandmothers on the planet. She insults him, berates him, and demands that he wait on her. Tiring of being insulted, George takes it upon himself to concoct a little plan to seek his own form of revenge. Knowing that dear grandma must take a medicinal elixir four times a day, he grabs a saucepan and begins dumping anything he can find therein. The ingredients vary from simple shaving cream to sheep dip and everything in between (save for the kitchen sink). Stirring and heating and boiling a tad, George feels that he may have the perfect revenge. Feeding it to her, George watches her fizzle and jerk, then spasm and flip. The end result, an ever-growing grandma whose head pops out of the roof tiles. Forced to face his parents upon their return, George and his father test out the formula to see how it might work on some of their farm animals, watching great growth of the chickens. With pound signs in their eyes, George and Mr. Kranky seek to replicate and perfect the medicine to market it to the world. However, things sometimes go awry and dear old Grandma is still expecting her morning tea. Whatever could happen now? Energetic in its development, Dahl offers up a wonderful story for the entire family to enjoy (thankfully with the disclaimer never to try this at home).

Dahl continues to impress with this wonderful story that tugs on the heart strings while also tickling the funny bone. I once read that Dahl tends to create many of his adult characters in a very negative sense; soured folks who want nothing than to crush the spirits of little ones. This story pits George against his awful grandmother, with the end result being a medicine that not only causes great mutations, but allows the younger generation to seek revenge for the antics of those who oppress them. Sounds deep and highly metaphoric, but Dahl does this in a humorous manner that attracts a great deal of attention. Dahl develops wonderful characters that clash and complement one another so well that the reader will revel in the contrasts. One thing I have noticed in Dahl's work is that he is much freer with negative expletives, even in books directed at children. "Shut up!", "stupid", and "idiot" flow effortlessly from the narrative and peppered in dialogue, which is likely not something that one would find in more recent (or perhaps ANY) stories geared to this age group. I am not offended, but it did pop into my mind as I read and devoured this piece. Interesting how sometimes fame can suspend the usual rules.

Kudos, Mr. Dahl for taking me back to my youth and remembering how Neo still loves to make potions in the bath. Thankfully, I never take even a wee sip!

Like/hate the review? An ever-growing collection of others appears at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George's Marvellous Medicine.

February 27, 2017 – Shelved