Lyn's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

“Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart. The really great men must, I think, have great sadness on earth.”

The first modern murder mystery? The scene between Raskolnikov and Porfery still one of the classic exchanges in all of literature, obviously very influential in this genre from then on.

“The darker the night, the brighter the stars,
The deeper the grief, the closer is God!”

“When reason fails, the devil helps!”

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

Finished Reading
July 31, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I probably need to read this one again, from a middle aged old guy perspective

Rory I just read for the first time ever, and I loved it.

I didn't mind the 600-700 page limit because it moves at such a smooth pace, also I love how the characters are portrayed because it makes them seem genuinely true to life especially Raskolnikov, who is quickly becoming one of my favourite literary characters.

message 3: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn thanks for the comment

Rory Lyn wrote: "thanks for the comment"

Appreciated Lyn, as is your review.

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn thanks Rory, I am considering rereading

Lynne I must be the only person on the planet that found this piece of literature worse than War and Peace. It trudged. It skipped about the plot and sub plots so much, I had a very hard time following the story. If the main story of the murders and continuous punishment Raskolnikov goes through, you get an excellent short story. EAP wrote a better story in the same thought process with The Tell Tale Heart.

message 7: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Great observation, never compared Tell Tale Heart with this but I can see the similarity

Lynne Thank you, Lyn! That is high praise since I just learned to read again.

message 9: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn ;), I need to reread them both

Lynne I'll reread Poe, but Dostoyevsky ... I'm done!

Wayne Barrett I need to read this one again. It's been many years, but I remember this being one of those books that left a huge impression on me. At that time I considered it on of the best books I had ever read.

message 12: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Yeah, Wayne me too, but it's been ages

Debbie This was the first Dostoyvevsky book I ever read. It sparked my Russian Lit phase.

Marta I love Dostoyevsky - he is an absolute psychological genius.

message 15: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I plan to reread this and give a better review, thank you though

Lynne Lyn, in your review, you mentioned that C&P could be the first murder mystery, but there's no mystery. We know who does the deed and why. He then proceeds to die slowly with guilt. Blah!

message 17: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Good point, true

message 18: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn absolutely, this is a psychological thriller

Francisco Andrade 5 stars right??

message 20: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Maybe after I reread

Lynne Leslie and Lyn, true.