Carole's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-childhood-college

I hated this book. It was required in one of my English Lit. classes in college. The time spent reading this book is time that I will never get back. I think this book may have shortened my life; it was such a waste of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Started Reading
January 1, 1990 – Finished Reading
April 1, 2008 – Shelved
April 1, 2008 – Shelved as: read-in-childhood-college

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)

Melissa I don't think this review is in any way helpful. It is okay to not like a book. But a review is supposed to give people a substantive reason for being dissatisfied with it; not a list of complaints about how much you did not like it.

Try to be a little helpful next time and give us WHY.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ostenfeld I have to agree - this review is in no way helpful. As a college English teacher, I can only guess that the above reviewer did not do very well in that English Lit. class.

sunsetsylvia Oh, that's bad when you are forced to read something you wouldn't pick up by yourself.
Personally I adore the books and would have liked to hear WHY you didn't like it, what exactly put you off about it.
Cheers!

Janene Nicely put, Renaissance Woman...=)

Carole...I don't remember specifics...but know it only got one star from me as well. I liked your review. Related to it. Kind of like the time my SO made me put my book down to watch Jack Ass. My god...I said, "I'll never get that hour back!!" arg!

LOL!

Morgan F Tell us how you really feel.

message 6: by Spike (new)

Spike A big thanks! I hated it too. Pointless drivel.

message 7: by Shiny (new) - added it

Shiny wow.....ur funny!

Anonymousity If you hate a book, tell us why or don't read it and just read cliffs notes or something! Forcing yourself to read a novel to just write this review that gives us zero information whatsoever on why you dislike it is pointless bordering on masochistic. You wasted my time with your review, and it's time I'm never getting back.

Bamness Then you didn't get it

Caroline I agree. It's awful.

message 11: by Evy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evy This must be an April Fools' "review". ^^

Gabby Hmmm... based on this review I can tell you must be a Twilight reader. That's the only possible explanation I can give, based on the fact that you gave no reasons for your review.

Juliana Giacobelli Douglas' geniality isn't for everyone.

Scott Uh-huh! I just checked her book list, takes all types I suppose.

message 15: by Mirsada (new) - added it

Mirsada

message 16: by Liam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liam @Scott so did I, Im off to find a suitably Conradian ripost a short one

Jonathan Coleman Caroline wrote: "I agree. It's awful."

can't you give an actual reason? or is it just because you didn't understand the humor?
Reasons help us understand why, not just "oh this book is bad"

Elisabeth Geez people! She's allowed to not like the book and she's not legally required to say why! Maybe she wrote this as a note for herself. Not every person on goodreads is out to write a helpful review, and not every review has to be an eloquent 5-part essay with all the points neatly and articulately defended. It cracks me up how fans of a book jump to defense like this. They just can't handle a negative review of their beloved book. I loved this book, but so what?

message 19: by Stutley (last edited Feb 08, 2014 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stutley Constable After looking over the kinds of books you prefer I can understand why you disliked it. The books on your list, by and large, would not at all interest me.

Edit 2/8/2014: I've had two people so far comment on my statement above. After reading it over again I can see why they would think it was impolite. Not my intention. Let me explain. I looked over Carole's list of books because I was curious to see what she normally reads, discovering her list contained virtually nothing that resembled Hitchhiker's Guide. It can be no surprise to anyone, then, that she would not care at all for HG. As I stated I would not find the books on her list interesting and I seriously doubt she would like any on my list. Two very different tastes in reading.

Carole has as much right to dislike any book as anyone else on the planet. It was not my intention to berate her or undercut her in any way or insult her. I am guilty of poor wording in my original comment. For that I hope Carole will forgive me.

Deepak Menon You are different .. from a Vogon airlock or from Betelgeuse perhaps ...?

Janene well said, Elisabeth.

Stutley...I yawned reading your small list. so what?

Stutley Constable Janene wrote: "well said, Elisabeth.

Stutley...I yawned reading your small list. so what?"

You were... tired?

Seriously, though, I'm guessing you took my statement as a criticism of Carole's right to dislike this book. It was merely an observation. Clearly, 'Hitchhiker's Guide' is very different from the books Carole normally reads. It's a subject she does not enjoy. No one should expect her to like it. Books are like food: Everyone has their favorite kinds.

message 23: by Stan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stan Arnold Poor Carole.

message 24: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Wow. What kind of a person reviews the "books read" list of another GR member and then makes deprecating comments?

Henry this is the best book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erica Hruza If you have an average to below average understanding of the English language, would be near impossible to read, understand or appreciate. Also, if you lacked a sense of humor, a sense of wonder and awe of the universe...again it would be hard to understand. These are my only rational explanations for such a harsh and unhelpful review. I'm nearly done reading this, first time through and love it. I want to keep it in my purse so that any time I'm having a bad day...even a raging PMS day...I can pick this book up and read just 2 or 3 pages, because that's how funny it is. That is how brilliant it is. It makes me smile with every page. Brilliant.

Deepak Menon Erica wrote: "If you have an average to below average understanding of the English language, would be near impossible to read, understand or appreciate. Also, if you lacked a sense of humor, a sense of wonder an..."
You are absolutely right! This book is one of the most Brilliant Books I have ever read!
Deepak Menon (Author)
Dehradun
India

message 28: by Jagriz (new)

Jagriz At least, Carole seems to have nice hair.

Deepak Menon Jagriz wrote: "At least, Carole seems to have nice hair."
I've got my tongue in my cheek on this one hee hee hee

Erica Hruza Deepak wrote: "Erica wrote: "If you have an average to below average understanding of the English language, would be near impossible to read, understand or appreciate. Also, if you lacked a sense of humor, a sens..."
Glad to hear! =)

Becky Bullock How can you possibly complain about a waste of your life over such a short book?! It's a great book, if it went over your head that's not the books fault. Pointless review, why even leave it? Not helpful in the slightest, just you bitching...

Sarah Geez, GR commenters are condescending. I'm ambivalent about Douglas Adams - I can definitely appreciate why he's popular but his style of humour is not my cup of tea (I feel similarly about Pratchett and my friends find that weird too). It's entirely possible to not enjoy a book - even a popular one! - and still understand it. If everyone liked the same things the world would be unutterably boring, and it takes a very insecure or very self-absorbed person to claim a person must be stupid because they didn't enjoy a comedic book. Like, come on, guys. Grow up.

Janene well said, Sarah

message 34: by Kristophor (new) - added it

Kristophor Graden Well said Sarah. I'm loving this book, but can definitely understand why some would not.

message 35: by Mick (new) - rated it 1 star

Mick Barley I also found this book to be pretty shallow and boring. It reminded me of a young student doodling about in a semi-humorous way. I read it 25 years ago and tried again recently thinking mebbe I missed something... but I didn't. I've no idea why it's held up as such a great novel - it's pulp. I'd rather read Harry Harrison.

Chris Sarah exactly. I am reading with my daughter for summer for her required reading. While parts are funny, I certainly am not 5 stars on it. Rather ambivalent and garglish drivel by one who has a rather large view of himself and his literary skills. Shall see how I feel at end of book. We are halfway. To date, not my cup of tea.

Merritt Brenneman Well I'm very sorry that you English teacher made you spend so much time on this book, but we don't need a review of your English Lit class, the idea is to give a review of the book itself.

message 38: by Zoe (new)

Zoe is this some sort of sick joke?

cuz all that blank was.

message 39: by Zoe (new)

Zoe is this a joke?!!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

Justin  hight You accidentally gave this one star when you meant five

message 41: by Mateus (new)

Mateus There should be a review for cyber bullies like you people. She didn't like it. Put your pants back on and leave her alone.

Chris glad to see an alternative perspective

message 43: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren I

message 44: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Cohen Your lit class had some merit. You mastered hyperbole. But I'm sorry you had to read this book unwillingly. That is awfully unpleasant, and light-hearted philosophical satire sandwiched in improbable geekery is in no way fun if you aren't signing yourself up for it.
I enjoyed it as an escape from my biology/chem major.

message 45: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas thank you! this review was illuminating

message 46: by Lia (new)

Lia Howard ....Prooobably not much to you, is there?

Kassandra Yen I agree I read because everyone loves it but I almost died from the pain! Movie is a little less painful but still. You won't ever get that time back.

message 48: by Astral (new)

Astral How very infromative, with a "review" like that I'm inclined to believe the opposite.

baguette Tre Cool... Calm down

Konrad You are just an ignorant person who sits on their phone all day and wants 's to stare into their phone instead of reading good books.

« previous 1